Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Does CB Subs STORE the Name of Person Paying?

• djsdjs
  • djsdjs
12 years 7 months ago #192213 by djsdjs
I want to use a field to place a DRM overlay on videos to discourage re-capturing them.

If I use the CB name, they can change the CB name before watching the video.

If I set CB to prevent editing the user name, they can still setup a new account with a fake name.

Is there any way to save the payment name in a CB field? I just want the name and email address that was used to buy the CB subscription.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 7 months ago #192342 by krileon
Hmm, depends. CBSubs has invoice address and name, which can't be changed once purchase is made and is tied to a subscription. This isn't a field though, but it's stored to database. PayPal gateway for example can be configured to return the purchasers information which is also stored to database. If they created a fake account they'd have to re-purchase so it's double income for you; I don't see the problem? User ID, Username, and Email Address are always unique so using either should be fine.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• djsdjs
  • djsdjs
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #192488 by djsdjs
krileon,
If an unscrupulous company or group of people gets the idea to abuse the system, it would only cost them one subscription to understand how to game the system for as many users as they desire. If I have 3 month and 1 year subs, it would only take the cost of a 3 month to gain unlimited access to recapture content.

Profile data can be fake or made to look official to those who are sharing a profile (e.g. First Name "Group licensed to" Last name "XYZ Corp")

Payment data (name, address, etc) is guaranteed to be real. And a combination of both profile and payment would also be possible if the data were available.

Would be nice if there was a category on the road map for community sites where the monetization of content is lost due to account sharing and/or recapturing of content.

Thanks.

PS - I've been a CB user for many years - not really keen on the "It's not really a problem" type of responses that seem fairly common. Would be nice rather to have the essence of "Would this solution work, or is there something I've misunderstood in your business requirements?" Posts like this one are an opportunity for the development team to see the next level of features that will up the game of CBSubs above it's competitors.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by djsdjs.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 7 months ago #192528 by nant
My 2 cents here.

There is no way to stop such behavior - if anyone claims they can or they have they are pulling your leg.

If content is viewable its recordable and can be stolen.

If you have any proposal to stop someone from taking screenshots of content or video recording something from what they see on their computer then by all means make it public and we will find a way to implement.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon