Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User management: Joomla 2.5 / CB 1.8 / Amember

• andypooz
  • andypooz
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #192631 by andypooz
I need to get CB1.8 to play with Amember subscription/affiliate program. I figure I'll be making some custom hacks somewhere (unless someone has some insight into bridging these two systems)

I have played around with how user management is shared between CB and Joomla and discovered the following things (Please correct me if I'm wrong):
1) The user is added to the jos_users table and the jos_comprofiler table
2)Changing username and name fields through the CB profile updated both tables
3)Adding a user via the Joomla user manager places a record in the jos_comprofiler table, but missing details and not able to log in as the user has not confirmed email

I have a rather complicated membership system in mind:
1) TEACHER type users will be registered through the Amember system, and their details will be copied over to Joomla/CB databases becoming a member of the TEACHER group in Joomla's ACL, so they can log in there (same domain and made to look like same system of course)
2) Changes/deletes in Amember or CB profiles will echo the changes to the other places (or maybe allow changes in one of those places to reduce work)
3) Logging in/out of CB/Joomla will log in/out of Amember and vise versa.

4) PRINCIPAL type users can register through Amember, and their data is echoed to Joomla/CB tables in the same way, and they can log into both systems at the same time.
5) These users have little by way of CB profile- they are mostly concerned with the Amember interface.

5) STUDENT members can ONLY be registered by TEACHERS and cannot register themselves through the front end. They are NOT added to the Amember database and their registration works like so:
  • Teacher registers them and they are assigned a random password by the system
  • They are approved automatically without needing to confirm their email
  • They are assigned to STUDENT joomla ACL group
  • They are assigned to a (GroupJive?) group belonging to that TEACHER

I can register a new user by creating a Chronoforms user registration form that will perform the usual Joomla registration stuff.

Question 1: What extra steps/database inserts will be required in this chronoform to get the student working as a CB member? If there is an article that explains how the CB registration process and queries differ from that of the core Joomla one, that would be REALLY useful.

Question 2: Amember has a plug-in for Joomla, allowing it to add new members to the joomla database and synchrnoise logins. I (think) I'm ok with hacking some SQL queries (see Q1), but does CB use the same user object and sessions to determine login status. ie. If this Amember plug-in will auto login/log out a normal Joomla user, should it in theory work OK for CB too? If there is a difference, could you point me to the documentation for that function?

I'm a free member at the moment, but I'll be buying a Pro license, so even if your docs links are accessible only to Pro members, I'll shortly be able to access them.

Many many thanks
Andy
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by andypooz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 7 months ago #192662 by nant

andypooz wrote: I need to get CB1.8 to play with Amember subscription/affiliate program. I figure I'll be making some custom hacks somewhere (unless someone has some insight into bridging these two systems)

Welcome to our forums - thanks for posting - will try to address as best as possible.

Right off the bat, please understand that CB is meant to work with the CB registration and the CB Login module. You cannot really expect things to work without these.

Please note that the CB API document is also available and might help you address some of your concerns. See Free download area.

I have played around with how user management is shared between CB and Joomla and discovered the following things (Please correct me if I'm wrong):
1) The user is added to the jos_users table and the jos_comprofiler table

Correct - CB User addition via backend CB USer manager or frontend registration process also adds Joomla user. This way, should you want to do without CB in the future all your users as still in Joomla.

2)Changing username and name fields through the CB profile updated both tables

username and name fields are only stored in joomla table. data is not duplicated in CB.

3)Adding a user via the Joomla user manager places a record in the jos_comprofiler table, but missing details and not able to log in as the user has not confirmed email

Nope - if you use Joomla user manager, then CB does not know anything about such a user. You would need to do a CB Tools resync.

I have a rather complicated membership system in mind:
1) TEACHER type users will be registered through the Amember system, and their details will be copied over to Joomla/CB databases becoming a member of the TEACHER group in Joomla's ACL, so they can log in there (same domain and made to look like same system of course)
2) Changes/deletes in Amember or CB profiles will echo the changes to the other places (or maybe allow changes in one of those places to reduce work)
3) Logging in/out of CB/Joomla will log in/out of Amember and vise versa.

4) PRINCIPAL type users can register through Amember, and their data is echoed to Joomla/CB tables in the same way, and they can log into both systems at the same time.
5) These users have little by way of CB profile- they are mostly concerned with the Amember interface.

5) STUDENT members can ONLY be registered by TEACHERS and cannot register themselves through the front end. They are NOT added to the Amember database and their registration works like so:

• Teacher registers them and they are assigned a random password by the system
  • They are approved automatically without needing to confirm their email
  • They are assigned to STUDENT joomla ACL group
  • They are assigned to a (GroupJive?) group belonging to that TEACHER

I can register a new user by creating a Chronoforms user registration form that will perform the usual Joomla registration stuff.

Question 1: What extra steps/database inserts will be required in this chronoform to get the student working as a CB member? If there is an article that explains how the CB registration process and queries differ from that of the core Joomla one, that would be REALLY useful.

Question 2: Amember has a plug-in for Joomla, allowing it to add new members to the joomla database and synchrnoise logins. I (think) I'm ok with hacking some SQL queries (see Q1), but does CB use the same user object and sessions to determine login status. ie. If this Amember plug-in will auto login/log out a normal Joomla user, should it in theory work OK for CB too? If there is a difference, could you point me to the documentation for that function?

I'm a free member at the moment, but I'll be buying a Pro license, so even if your docs links are accessible only to Pro members, I'll shortly be able to access them.

Many many thanks
Andy

You should be able to handle your usecase with CBSUbs just fine without any need for modifications and experimentations.

• andypooz
  • andypooz
12 years 7 months ago #192696 by andypooz
Nant,

Thank you for pointing out the glaringly obvious fact that I was refusing to accept- CBSubs along with a supported affiliate plug-in is a MUCH better way to go!

You've made me see reason.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 7 months ago #192714 by nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon