Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Deciding about CB - Error

• redfordxx
  • redfordxx
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #193593 by redfordxx
Deciding about CB - Error was created by redfordxx
Hi I am deciding about CB, whether yes or no.

I have started Joomla website and I plan or want following:
1) shopping cart
2) forum
3) email addresses for the members on my domain
4) members will add articles in certain areas and admin will first check whether to approve them before they will be published
5) I need custom registration form with custom text and custom fields to fill in
6) custom form for guests to send an email from website to me
7) I want to save referrer where the user came from when he is registering, so that I can track where the registered users come from (to give credit to someone for recommendation in case the new user is shopping or so)... which would require custom fields for the referrer in the database...

And the question is:
CAN COMMUNITY BUILDER HELP WITH THAT?
Please try to write more than "yes" so that I can see that you are not only selling your product. And please also specify, whether some of this is supported not by CB itself, but plugin is needed.

- I want to have one user management for all this, same login and pwd for website, eshop & forum
- I have my own custom template for the website, will CB accept it and everything will look and feel like now?

I am sorry if I am asking at wrong place, but I am newbie confused with the milions of extensions for Joomla.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by redfordxx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bk6366
  • bk6366
12 years 7 months ago #193645 by bk6366
Replied by bk6366 on topic Re: Deciding about CB

1) shopping cart

I understand that Community Builder integrates with Virtue Mart but that's only one option. The VM extension suite is available as well.

2) forum

Kunena works well (in my experience) with CB.

Don't know the answer.

4) members will add articles in certain areas and admin will first check whether to approve them before they will be published

That's essentially a Joomla function - registered users can be given 'Authoring' privileges but won't be able to publish. A moderator/manager would have have to approve.

5) I need custom registration form with custom text and custom fields to fill in

Community Builder allows you to create the registration form with fields you specify. Further, you can edit many of the elements at the CSS level.

Chronoforms is a cool component - I've used it to create custom forms.

7) I want to save referrer where the user came from when he is registering, so that I can track where the registered users come from (to give credit to someone for recommendation in case the new user is shopping or so)... which would require custom fields for the referrer in the database...

Maybe an extension exists in the JED but I haven't checked for one.

I want to have one user management for all this, same login and pwd for website, eshop & forum

Shouldn't be an issue. I don't have the Virtuemart shop but one login allows my users to access the site and forums.

I have my own custom template for the website, will CB accept it and everything will look and feel like now?

Probably not :) But, as mentioned above, just about everything is editable at the CSS level. There are some core hacks that can be done but aren't recommended (nor supported).

bk
---
J1.7.3 / CB 1.7.1 / PHP 5.2.17 (no, not upgrading yet)
Current J/CB Project

'Terse'
Guide to getting answers
Please note that pm's related to CB issues will go unanswered. That's what the forums are for.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 7 months ago #193661 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Deciding about CB

redfordxx wrote: Hi I am deciding about CB, whether yes or no.

My answers also follow ...

1) shopping cart

You can add ecommerce to your CB website with CBSUbs (it supports subscriptions, merchandise sales and donations). It doesn't have a traditional shopping cart, but it integrates very well with CB and Joomla.

2) forum

Community Builder integrates nicely with Kunena and with CB GroupJive you can even have private group discussion forums.

If by this you mean that you want to give your members email addresses, then some third party extension is needed - sorry I am not aware of such a script.

This is more of a Joomla issue.
Traditionally author users can submit articles that need to be approved by Publisher members. You would need to experiment with Joomla 2.5 ACL to see if the built-in functionality Joomla has is enough for your use case.

Other alternatives exist in the form of blogging extensions and also K2 is a possibility.

Community Builder registration form can add extra CB fields - standard CB functionality here. Some field types need extra plugins (example: file field, ajax text field) that are offered to Professional members.

Maybe the standard Joomla contact form would do?
I think there are extra addons also on JED for this.

You would need extra script for this - check JED.

And the question is:
CAN COMMUNITY BUILDER HELP WITH THAT?
Please try to write more than "yes" so that I can see that you are not only selling your product. And please also specify, whether some of this is supported not by CB itself, but plugin is needed.

- I want to have one user management for all this, same login and pwd for website, eshop & forum
- I have my own custom template for the website, will CB accept it and everything will look and feel like now?

I am sorry if I am asking at wrong place, but I am newbie confused with the milions of extensions for Joomla.

Answer is by itself Community Builder cannot do all of this.
As a new Joomla user you are on a learning curve that is needed to understand what is available and what can be combined.

• redfordxx
  • redfordxx
12 years 7 months ago #193979 by redfordxx
Replied by redfordxx on topic Re: Deciding about CB
Thank you for the answers.
Yes, learning curve, that's nice and true comment.

I didn't expect CB will solve everything I mentioned. I just hope it integrates well with everything I need.

Well, I try the free version and see how is my learning curve and then decide. Thanx again.

• redfordxx
  • redfordxx
12 years 7 months ago #194486 by redfordxx
OK, now I installed CB and I see some things clearer;-)
I have two questions...
1) How can I enable user to choose language during registration? The "Frontend Language:Show" original Joomla option does not seem to have influence on that...
2) When I am on registration form " domain.com/en/component/comprofiler/registers " and I log in on sidebar, mostly Opera says "Redirection Status: The URL was redirected to domain.com// . Please click the link to go there. Generated by Opera."
And that's it, I have to navigate back. Is that bug or my problem, maybe htaccess?

Soon I will try Kunena.
About VirtueMart...I read some reviews that VM2 is seriously bugged and unfinished...any experience?
Btw: did I understand correctly that VM and CB do not integrate by themselves and I need some non-free plugin to integrate them (login name, personal data)?

Have a great day.
R.

• redfordxx
  • redfordxx
12 years 7 months ago #194663 by redfordxx
I am testing CB now for few days and seemed to work.
But today, when I wanted to see detail of User in CB user manager, I have got:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in /data/www/organogoldempire.com/www.organogoldempire.com/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.acl.php on line 497

so my provider increased memory limit and now I have

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in /data/www/organogoldempire.com/www.organogoldempire.com/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/library/cb/cb.acl.php on line 497

What can be wrong?
I can se the user details in non-CB User Manager, no problem.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon