Skip to Content Skip to Menu

The only question I am interested in

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #197400 by KatoKalin
The only question I am interested in was created by KatoKalin
This is really a presale question as I will only purchase a new subscription when CB 2.0 is available.
My last posting regarding CB 2.0 must be 6 months ago now. Back then it was said that there will be news shortly.
Nothing until now. Will there be a CB2.0 ever or should we head to Jomsocial which seem to have amore frequent update cycle?

It is sad to see ZERO progress regarding 2.0 for almost 2 years now.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by KatoKalin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #197453 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: The only question I am interested in

KatoKalin wrote: This is really a presale question as I will only purchase a new subscription when CB 2.0 is available.
My last posting regarding CB 2.0 must be 6 months ago now. Back then it was said that there will be news shortly.
Nothing until now. Will there be a CB2.0 ever or should we head to Jomsocial which seem to have amore frequent update cycle?

It is sad to see ZERO progress regarding 2.0 for almost 2 years now.

Facts:

Yes, we have been working towards CB 2.0 for some time now.
We have been carefully refactoring and improving the CB API and enhancing our new XML-based technology (used in CBSubs that will be the basis of CB 2.0).
We have been constantly refactoring to be able to properly support new Joomla versions (and versions to come).
We have been testing these concepts through our Incubator projects which are very frequently updated with new releases. Many of these concepts will find their way in CB 2.0.

CB 2.0 is a major effort which will have a totally new UI environment (backend and frontend) and will most likely involve a migration from previous CB versions (and not an upgrade).

No CB 2.0 estimated time of arrival is given.

You are free to explore anything you like. Stating that you are exploring other solutions (that you believe are alternatives to CB and the CB framework) does not really produce more pressure or incentive to push forward with CB 2.0 - we already have plenty of this.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by nant.

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
12 years 6 months ago #197653 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Re: The only question I am interested in
I was not to criticise the work you are doing on the current CB. In fact this is very professional.
But I am expressing a STRONG dislike on how you are handling the CB 2.0 path. It is quite the opposite of your regular professional way. Instead of secretly coding for years and delivering a concept which might be outdated by the day it has been finally released after years and years of trying to make it perfect, you might rethink this approach.
It seems that major companies/projects have dumped the feature based approach for a time based approach to be able to deliever better software quicker. I have Firefox, Joomla and several Linux dists in my mind. Even Microsoft has changed their development procedures to deliver based on time and not based on features.

Your lack of communication about what to expect with CB 2.0, what features and at what time makes it impossible to make own decisions about plugin developments. It really does not make any sense to start a new website with a CB which is obsolete soon or to develop any plugins without knowing either if they will work with CB2.0 or if they are needed at all. Worst case would be to develop anything from the scratch only to start all over or heavily refactor it to make it of any use in CB2.0.

So again: I want to STRONGLY express my disppointment regarding the lack of information and the lack of profssionalism reagarding and only regarding the path towards CB2.0. It is disappointing as it is impossible to take CB2.0 into account for any future project without the slightest information about it.

This is why I have not extended my Advanced Membership with you. And it will depend on the CB2.0 release if I will become a customer again or if I have switched to another solution by then.

• beat
  • beat
12 years 6 months ago #197658 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: The only question I am interested in
Thank you for your constructive point of view, not taken as critisism at all. In fact, we hope to be able to reply to quite a few of your points soon. :)

I do not think that we are doing "secret coding" or "secret features", to the contrary, our development is quite open for a professional team: an important part of CB 2.0 is already available as incubator projects which are all in a stable very usable state (but they are moving forward fast, actively developed for CB 2.0, with one new release per day on average over last few weeks !).

To stay on a constructive track:

Except for the refactoring of the CB controller part, new templating and further integration of existing incubator plugins into the core distribution, what are your expectations and wish-list for CB 2.0 ? :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #197747 by KatoKalin
Beat thanks for your words. And thanks for your work. I am not not appreciating it.
What is this about nants hints regarding a totally new UI experience? This sounds interesting and promising. But this is also what I meant by secretly coding away. As user I feel left behind without any information about the progress and without any information about what the big picturee is CB2.0 is all about.

Errrm yes of course I have some suggestions and wishes. And of course I would like to see them implemented, commented or hinted if there is even a chance to get this implemented.
For example:

Backend userlists: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/138267-suggestions-cb-20?limit=6&start=6#141082

User mass action in user manager: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/138267-suggestions-cb-20?limit=6&start=12#147035

Profile Urls: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=48#138176

Username vs. loginname: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=48#138361

Conditional fields and multiple fields: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=48#138630

Force profile completeness: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=48#138631

User expiration: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=48#138635

Security and registration workflow: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=36#132363

Profile fields vs. registration fields: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=36#132633

Profile templating: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=42#134042

Membership liftime cycle: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=42#137946

Hacking protection: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=42#138107

Multi site registration: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=42#138109

Admin user management: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=30#130772

Realtime backend user display: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=30#131705

Watermarks for media protection: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/130-cb-123-general-discussion/124757-cb-20-ideas-discussions?limit=6&start=30#131806

In general more Ajax and fluid display and templating to offer more flexibility and less reloads.

Just to name a few. :lol:
So maybe you can understand now that it would helpful to know if some of this gets implemented, if it makes sense to start coding this stuff on my own or even getting some other solution if it suits better.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by KatoKalin.

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
12 years 5 months ago #199844 by KatoKalin
Although I have not received a reply to my posting above, you can see me smile as I am seeing some more hints and mentioning of CB2.0 recently.
This shows there is some progress on this which is great. Keep it up!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon