Skip to Content Skip to Menu

is Community Builder truly Open Source?

• tazzarkin
  • tazzarkin
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #201205 by tazzarkin
is Community Builder truly Open Source? was created by tazzarkin
If Community Builder is Open Source, why do you need IonCube installed?

Maybe it's a dumb question and it's probably answered in another thread, but I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

Or maybe I mean... is CBSubs truly Open Source?

Do all the Add-Ons require IonCube too?

It also says, "All Advanced and Professional add-ons are GPL and can be used on all your websites forever".

So, you are saying that some of the Add-ons will expire and stop working after the Membership expires? What other add-on levels are there (other than Advanced and Profesional)?

Your wording and phrasing scare the heck out of me. This doesn't sound like Open Source.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by tazzarkin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 4 months ago #201206 by nant

tazzarkin wrote: If Community Builder is Open Source, why do you need IonCube installed?

Maybe it's a dumb question and it's probably answered in another thread, but I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

Community Builder is open-source GPL.
See Features tab here:
www.joomlapolis.com/community-builder

Or maybe I mean... is CBSubs truly Open Source?

CBSubs is not open-source.
It needs ioncube.

Do all the Add-Ons require IonCube too?

No all add-ons offered as part of membership are open-source.
www.joomlapolis.com/support/membership

It also says, "All Advanced and Professional add-ons are GPL and can be used on all your websites forever".

So, you are saying that some of the Add-ons will expire and stop working after the Membership expires? What other add-on levels are there (other than Advanced and Profesional)?

Your wording and phrasing scare the heck out of me. This doesn't sound like Open Source.

I think the wording is very clear.

Anything you download as part of membership (see Support -> Membership page) is open-source GPL licensed.

You can use what you download on all your websites forever.

The only thing is you will not be able to download updates once your membership has expired.

If you have suggestion for even clearer wording please share it with us.

• tazzarkin
  • tazzarkin
12 years 4 months ago #201208 by tazzarkin
Replied by tazzarkin on topic Re: is Community Builder truly Open Source?
Actually, it is pretty clear. I just wanted to be 100% sure before making a purchase. Your forums are great, and I really appreciate the fast response.

I'm just disappointed because I don't like buying IonCubed products (and it seems we have to purchase the IonCubed products to get the full flavor of CB). We always try to run the code stand-alone on a USB Drive for our staff, and Ion-cubed products have created problems in the past.

I know you guys have a great product and support. Thank you for answering so quickly. I have to give this deep thought.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 4 months ago #201211 by nant

tazzarkin wrote: Actually, it is pretty clear. I just wanted to be 100% sure before making a purchase. Your forums are great, and I really appreciate the fast response.

I'm just disappointed because I don't like buying IonCubed products (and it seems we have to purchase the IonCubed products to get the full flavor of CB). We always try to run the code stand-alone on a USB Drive for our staff, and Ion-cubed products have created problems in the past.

I know you guys have a great product and support. Thank you for answering so quickly. I have to give this deep thought.

Only CBSubs needs ioncube.

If you do not need paid subscriptions on your website, there is no need for CBSubs.

• tazzarkin
  • tazzarkin
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #201222 by tazzarkin
Replied by tazzarkin on topic Re: is Community Builder truly Open Source?

nant wrote:

tazzarkin wrote: Actually, it is pretty clear. I just wanted to be 100% sure before making a purchase. Your forums are great, and I really appreciate the fast response.

Only CBSubs needs ioncube.

If you do not need paid subscriptions on your website, there is no need for CBSubs.

Well, for the staff, we don't need it. However, for the outside world, we need paid subscriptions, so I guess that answers the question.

Thank you for the help. Maybe we'll use it for our other project, but in this case, I think a non-IonCubed version for subscriptions is what we're looking for.

It may seem like a small thing, but we just had a lot of problems running the web site stand-alone with IonCubed code. Is there a way to get the subscription component non-IonCubed?

As I said before, Community Builder is a great product! I'm sure we'll use it in the future. And thanks for the fast replies. Your forums are fantastic!
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by tazzarkin.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 4 months ago #201226 by nant
There are thousands of CBSubs installations using ioncube without issues.

CBSubs needs ioncube - sorry no open-source version yet.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon