Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Will Community Builder meet my needs?

• wd5mush
  • wd5mush
12 years 2 months ago #207068 by wd5mush
Will Community Builder meet my needs? was created by wd5mush
HI,
I am about to build a new web site for our musical society. It will be mainly public facing, but have a restricted access area for our members.
We currently have a membership 'database' - actually an Excel spreadsheet - that contains contact details, subscription, charity tax reclaim and various other items of data for our 200 members. This is used to generate hard copy and electronic mailings as well as a source of contact and other information for the management team.
I am looking for a way of integrating that database with the system that will be used to manage access to the members only pages of our web site. This will mean that I do not have to maintain two separate databases, with the incumbent risks of them getting out of synch.
To do this I think I need something that will either import some or all of the data from our existing database (preferred), or will export, on demand, the fields we need in spreadsheet format.
Whilst I do not require the functionality of a Social Networking Site (at least not yet), I wonder if some aspects of Community Builder or its add-ons might meet my needs.

I am sure there are lots of experts out there who could advise, so can you help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 2 months ago #207080 by nant

wd5mush wrote: HI,
I am about to build a new web site for our musical society. It will be mainly public facing, but have a restricted access area for our members.
We currently have a membership 'database' - actually an Excel spreadsheet - that contains contact details, subscription, charity tax reclaim and various other items of data for our 200 members. This is used to generate hard copy and electronic mailings as well as a source of contact and other information for the management team.
I am looking for a way of integrating that database with the system that will be used to manage access to the members only pages of our web site. This will mean that I do not have to maintain two separate databases, with the incumbent risks of them getting out of synch.
To do this I think I need something that will either import some or all of the data from our existing database (preferred), or will export, on demand, the fields we need in spreadsheet format.
Whilst I do not require the functionality of a Social Networking Site (at least not yet), I wonder if some aspects of Community Builder or its add-ons might meet my needs.

I am sure there are lots of experts out there who could advise, so can you help?

Community Builder - CBSubs - CB Juice

You can use the above to support your use case.

CB Juice can be used to import your external txt file data into Community Builder (CB) for each member. With CB you can also create as many extra fields as you want for your members.

CBSubs has an import function to create initial membership subscriptions for your existing members. From then on they can renew via online payment (or offline also supported).

CBSubs integrates nicely with CB so you can create membership lists (CB User lists) based on CB fields that are automatically updated when a subscription starts or ends.

Exporting data (for extra reporting) can be done also (unfortunately directly from the mysql database using phpmyadmin).

More about CBSubs here:
www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/cbsubs
www.joomlapolis.com/support/faq/105-presales/18288-cbsubs-cost
www.joomlapolis.com/support/faq/105-presales/18289-cbsubs-prerequisites

• wd5mush
  • wd5mush
12 years 2 months ago #207096 by wd5mush
Replied by wd5mush on topic Re: Will Community Builder meet my needs?
Excellent - thank you for your speedy response. I will investigate further over the next few days.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon