Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Can one CB site be a central member core for other sites?

11 years 5 months ago #226980 by djsteven77
Say I build a site with only Community Builder on it (e.g. community-x.com)

I also have a (Joomla) news website on a domain (e.g. news-from-x.com) and I want to give the members of my CB website automatically the option to use the free extra services on my news site. And those that sign up as a free member through my news site automatically become a member of my CB site. So it's vice versa, or some kind of cross-memeberships for multiple domains in my portfolio. Is that possible?

In short: can a CB site function as member core for all my other sites?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
11 years 5 months ago #226981 by beat
It really depends how you organize your multiple sites. If it's different installs on different servers, it's more comlicated, and you would probably need something like JMultiSite if it fits your needs.

But if it's the same Joomla install, it could probably be done: Joomla 3.1. has the basic possibility (it's shown in the basic demo-set) to show different templates for different pages, although not have multiple homepages, but that could be probably done with htaccess rules.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

11 years 5 months ago #227000 by djsteven77
All domains will be on one server. I checked JMultiSite but it's only available for Joomla 1.x versions. Is there another tool that can do the same and work with more recent versions of Joomla.

I don't know if the second option you mention is what I'm looking for. Although all seperate sections live on the same server, each section (like news, event calendar, party pictures, etcetera should have its own seperate domain.

• beat
  • beat
11 years 5 months ago #227012 by beat
You could have a domain alias for 2nd domain pointing to the first domain, making both served by the same server. Then, with an htaccess rule for Apache's standard mod_rewrite module, you could rewrite the homepage URL for 2nd domain to a specific page of the site.

Then you could have different templates for the sections for site 1 and 2. So it looks like 2 different sites on 2 different domains, but in fact is only 1 site.

That would be by far the simplest solution.

The other solution is www.jms2win.com (clicking Details, I see it compatible with 2.5+3.x).

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: djsteven77

11 years 5 months ago #227041 by djsteven77
Your last remark was exactly what I am looking for in combination with CB. Thanks!!

9 years 8 months ago #257440 by wipthawat.dev
Hi Beat,
I have same requirement to use the JMS but JMS require me to contact CB for modifying some code. he replied as follow
"Only CB, could benefit of the JMS "partial user sharing extension" to filter its info but will NOT be able to filter CB categories as illustrated in your picture."

How can I get the partial user sharing extension by your support??

I have a plan to purchase the Developer plan for my website development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon