Skip to Content Skip to Menu

J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?

• beres
  • beres
11 years 5 months ago #227309 by beres
J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something? was created by beres
Love the whole CB concept but I need more plugins than the free subscription gives me. I noticed that in one forum response, somebody recommended that the enquirer pay up for an advanced subscription in order to pay the community back. So I went trawling to see if it was worth the US$105 to do so. As I look through the Joomla.org extensions I see that the MAJORITY of the CB plugs are PRE J3 and WILL NOT work with Joomla 3. In checking ion the CB site I see that plugins with no apparent updates from J1.5 are labelled "HOT"
Right at the moment, 16th May 2013, J3 has been out and about for well over 6 months and CB plugs appear to be far far out of date and being called "HOT".
I have to be missing something - don't I?
Here I sit with
$$ in my pocket
a need to upgrade my subscription
and little to no motivation to shell out my hard earned sheckels for 5 yr old "HOTNESS"
can someone pls advise me?
With thanks
Beres

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 5 months ago #227315 by nant
Replied by nant on topic J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?

beres wrote: Love the whole CB concept but I need more plugins than the free subscription gives me. I noticed that in one forum response, somebody recommended that the enquirer pay up for an advanced subscription in order to pay the community back. So I went trawling to see if it was worth the US$105 to do so. As I look through the Joomla.org extensions I see that the MAJORITY of the CB plugs are PRE J3 and WILL NOT work with Joomla 3. In checking ion the CB site I see that plugins with no apparent updates from J1.5 are labelled "HOT"
Right at the moment, 16th May 2013, J3 has been out and about for well over 6 months and CB plugs appear to be far far out of date and being called "HOT".
I have to be missing something - don't I?
Here I sit with
$$ in my pocket
a need to upgrade my subscription
and little to no motivation to shell out my hard earned sheckels for 5 yr old "HOTNESS"
can someone pls advise me?
With thanks
Beres

All our add-ons and templates and plugins will work on any Joomla website with CB 1.9.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beres

• beres
  • beres
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #229233 by beres
Replied by beres on topic J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?
So my CB component identifies itself as "Your version is : 1.9" And yet when I try to install "plug_cbactivity-230.zip" as received from your promo yesterday, I get an error message saying, "Warning JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file"
This message only pops up when I am trying to install a pre-J3 extension into a J3 installation. So what is the "all cb plugins work with CB 1.9" advice mean?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by beres. Reason: The original reply was "thank you" - a sentiment I no longer am entertaining

• mrartist
  • mrartist
11 years 4 months ago #229270 by mrartist
Replied by mrartist on topic J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?
Beres, it's very confusing what to do with the various CB releases and it never is very well catalogued or documented what to do with the various extensions and plugins, let alone what's new or why.

I found your question above when trying to figure out the same error myself having forgotten exactly what to do with the download (and I've done it a few times before!)

In the case of this new "CB Activity Stream 2.3", which seems to be just a renaming of the same version of "CB Activity 2.3.0" (Why not explain that to existing users!), it's not actually specified what to do for install as far as I can tell, (the page on the plugin just says install via CB plugin manager, but this only half the story!) First you install the "plug_cbactivity-230.zip" using the cb-plugin installer (Components>Community Builder>Plugin Management) and then, depending on which version of Joomla you have, the "mod" part needs installing via the standard Joomla installer.

So, for Joomla 2.5 and up (including J3) you then install the "mod_cbactivity_J25-230.zip" file (for Joomla 1.5, you install the other one.

For all the CB stuff, they do seem to keep everything working for all the versions of Joomla and other things for that matter. I'm running J3.1.1 and it all installs and works for me, but making sense of it all, well, that's still another matter!

Suggestion:
Why not in each download, include a readme.txt file that includes information on what to do, what's new and fixed, and, most importantly, what it does/can do and how to use it in detail along with a list of possible issues and things not addressed yet.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 4 months ago #229272 by nant
Replied by nant on topic J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?

beres wrote: So my CB component identifies itself as "Your version is : 1.9" And yet when I try to install "plug_cbactivity-230.zip" as received from your promo yesterday, I get an error message saying, "Warning JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file"
This message only pops up when I am trying to install a pre-J3 extension into a J3 installation. So what is the "all cb plugins work with CB 1.9" advice mean?

CB plugins are always installed using the CB Plugin Manager and not the Joomla installer.

Our FAQ section explains this here:
www.joomlapolis.com/support/faq/101-support/18208-installation-issues

• mrartist
  • mrartist
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #229279 by mrartist
Replied by mrartist on topic J1.5 HOT? Am I missing something?

nant wrote: CB plugins are always installed using the CB Plugin Manager and not the Joomla installer.

Our FAQ section explains this here:
www.joomlapolis.com/support/faq/101-support/18208-installation-issues

And this in itself is confusing for anyone that's not familiar with their Plugins (plug_xxx) from their Modules (mod_xxx) to their Components (com_). (I still get confused and I've been doing Joomla things for three years!)

Confusion can also come from that help file at the beginning where it states "...the Joomla installer (used to install Joomla extensions, modules, plugins, templates and language packages).", which infers just Joomla only, rather than "and cb_modules, etc., etc."

So, basically, if it's a CB Plugin (plug_xxx), then do it through CB Plugin Manager, if it's anything else to do with CB or Joomla, do it through the Joomla installer (I think!).

Why aren't there little readme.txt files in the downloads providing installation reminders, help and version information? (and the information on the site for each plugin/module/etc doesn't say properly what to do either) e.g. CB Activity just mentions install via CB Plugin Manager and misses out the module install.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by mrartist. Reason: simple correction

Moderators: beatnantkrileon