Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Community Builder (Scalability and Performance)

• iaclayton
  • iaclayton
11 years 3 months ago #230557 by iaclayton
How well does Community Builder scale? I've read an article on Joomla! about scaling it into the hundreds of millions of hits if the code and framework is optimized but it didn't cover bandwidth caused by user activity in a social network like Community Builder. So how well does the MySQL database and Community Builder framework scale when it reaches say 10,000, 50,000, 100,000, 1 million and up active members? I know Community Builder mentions its generally for small communities, but how small? And can it scale if you keep expanding hardware servers or use a good cloud hosting provider?

What are other peoples experience with scaling Community Builder?

How is performance affected when membership reaches high levels? Can extentions I add on which compresses CSS and other files improve performance when the network scales without interfering with other modules and extentions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 3 months ago #230560 by nant

iaclayton wrote: How well does Community Builder scale? I've read an article on Joomla! about scaling it into the hundreds of millions of hits if the code and framework is optimized but it didn't cover bandwidth caused by user activity in a social network like Community Builder. So how well does the MySQL database and Community Builder framework scale when it reaches say 10,000, 50,000, 100,000, 1 million and up active members?

We use it on this site with over 500,000 users without any issues.

I know Community Builder mentions its generally for small communities, but how small?

Curious where you read this - please post URL so we can clarify if needed.

And can it scale if you keep expanding hardware servers or use a good cloud hosting provider?

What are other peoples experience with scaling Community Builder?

How is performance affected when membership reaches high levels? Can extentions I add on which compresses CSS and other files improve performance when the network scales without interfering with other modules and extentions?

Other devs and users can chime in with feedback here.

• iaclayton
  • iaclayton
11 years 3 months ago #230562 by iaclayton
Replied by iaclayton on topic Community Builder (Scalability and Performance)
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the scalability and performance issues I might run into. As for the "I know Community Builder mentions its generally for small communities, but how small?" statement. I was just looking for where I saw that on your site but I can't find it. BUT I KNOW I SAW IT! :lol:

Nice to see you have half a million users. How many can be online at once before you see a performance drop. Or have you gotten to that point yet?

• iaclayton
  • iaclayton
11 years 3 months ago #230563 by iaclayton
Replied by iaclayton on topic Community Builder (Scalability and Performance)
BTW since I have your attention Mr. Nant. I saw your presentation at J and Beyond 2013 on YouTube. And I notice that when you were talking about the CB Auto Actions. There was a trigger for K2 actions. So does that means Community Builder can now be integrated with K2?

• nant
  • nant
11 years 3 months ago #230565 by nant

iaclayton wrote: BTW since I have your attention Mr. Nant. I saw your presentation at J and Beyond 2013 on YouTube. And I notice that when you were talking about the CB Auto Actions. There was a trigger for K2 actions. So does that means Community Builder can now be integrated with K2?

Yes CB Auto Actions supports K2 actions.

Also K2 has a configuration to select CB profiles for authors of K2 articles.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon