Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Connect Profiles, Articles and Social Network data

• df23
  • df23
11 years 2 months ago #231223 by df23
I am creating a community website which will have user profiles for many local voluntary organisations. I have set up a structure of Categories that will classify the type of voluntary organisation and using Joomla 2.5 ACL can restrict article creation by each organisation to its associated category. So far so good...

Many of the organisations have their own social media presence Facebook, twitter etc. I am looking at CB Connect to provide the capability for each voluntary organisation to pull info from their chosen social media into their CB profile within my Joomla site - have i understood the usage of CB Connect correctly? Also within each category there will be articles written by the various voluntary groups. With CB and CB Connect installed is there the capability of clicking through from an article to see the user profile of the creator organisation of the article?

Many thanks
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
11 years 2 months ago #231227 by krileon

Many of the organisations have their own social media presence Facebook, twitter etc. I am looking at CB Connect to provide the capability for each voluntary organisation to pull info from their chosen social media into their CB profile within my Joomla site - have i understood the usage of CB Connect correctly?

Yes, this is correct. Please understand to pull certain profile data you must request additional permissions from the user, which you can configure within CB Connect. Please also keep in mind the field data synchronizes 1 time at new registrations, but then never again so CB profile data can function then onward. Not all social site fields are available due to format issues or no API for them. Profile data can also be protected by the users social site privacy settings, which there is no way to override. Basically there's no guarantee you'll always get the profile data you want.

Also within each category there will be articles written by the various voluntary groups. With CB and CB Connect installed is there the capability of clicking through from an article to see the user profile of the creator organisation of the article?

Nothing to do with CB Connect, you just need our Free (see Free downloads section) CB Author Bot, which will link a Joomla article author to CB.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• df23
  • df23
11 years 2 months ago #231461 by df23
Many thanks Kyle for your reply. I have installed CB Author bot and it works like a charm. Will sign up for CB Connect when I get to that point in my development
Dave

• maleli
  • maleli
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #232413 by maleli
Hi, I want to do the same thing but I'm using K2, is there a way to make it work with K2 articles?
The author shows up blank when this plugin is enabled.

thank you!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by maleli. Reason: additional details

• nant
  • nant
11 years 1 month ago #232426 by nant

maleli wrote: Hi, I want to do the same thing but I'm using K2, is there a way to make it work with K2 articles?
The author shows up blank when this plugin is enabled.

thank you!

I am pretty sure this feature is built into K2 with some parameter setting in the K2 extension.

• maleli
  • maleli
11 years 1 month ago #232468 by maleli
Thank you! It works with k2 when I disable the Community Builder Author plugin and enable "Community Builder integration for avatar, user names and user pages" in K2.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon