Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Favorites type module to search and list Cobalt 3 articles on users profile page

11 years 1 month ago #232921 by Judah Raine
Hi there, I have a very specific requirement for a new website which I need urgent clarity on before I start working on it.

Briefly, I wish to create a book library type community site (for viewing not lending or downloading) along the lines of, e.g. Goodreads.

I am using Joomla 3 and Cobalt 8 due to multiple category selection and the ability for individual members to upload books (images: covers) to a central library or repository. I would like to use CB for the community part of the site but I need full integration with Cobalt. They do have this, so that is not the problem.

I need to be able to add a module within the CB profile, or on the profile page, for the user to use to:

a) search cobalt items (restricted to a specific cobalt section or type)
b) if books found, add these to their bookshelf (perhaps a favorites type module?)
c) if not found, to be able to upload the book covers then select and add to bookshelf

The user bookshelves will display on their profile or profile page, and obviously each user's shelf will be different. Only the covers will display. Clicking on the cover will then open the Cobalt article.

In addition to the above, for information purposes:

Users will be able to add user reviews to the various books (via the cobalt review app)
There will be official site reviews added and linked via the Cobalt relationship model.

My question really is whether the favorites type bookshelf module is possible, and where I can obtain this, also if there would be anything I would need to do to make this work to my specifications.

I would appreciate a response as urgently as you can manage as I need to work on this site this weekend (I can only work after hours as I am employed full time)

Many thanks,
Jude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 1 month ago #233028 by nant

Judah Raine wrote: My question really is whether the favorites type bookshelf module is possible, and where I can obtain this, also if there would be anything I would need to do to make this work to my specifications.

I would appreciate a response as urgently as you can manage as I need to work on this site this weekend (I can only work after hours as I am employed full time)

Many thanks,
Jude

Everything is possible - but someone would need to develop this.

As you are aware we (joomlapolis) has no built-in support for cobalt 8, so I cannot really comment on difficulty to implement.

For sure the development effort will need in depth knowledge of cobalt - I don't think any CB API knowledge is needed since you are just implementing a Joomla module that will just be displayed on a CB Profile page.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon