Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB 2.0 again

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
11 years 19 hours ago #235404 by KatoKalin
CB 2.0 again was created by KatoKalin
By accident I came across some interesting information regarding CB 2.0 from Kyle here: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/222381-is-there-a-way-to-have-folders-within-the-gallery#232712

It seems that contrary to earlier information CB2.0 seems to be a migration and not a simple upgrade. As obviously the design phase has finished and you finally entered the coding phase since beginning of this year, it would be muc appreciated if there could be more information about what to expect.

It would be much more easier to make decisions about further development of my websites if there was some reliable information what to expect and how the migration will be handled. The upgrade question is a crucial one here because if there is a migration anyway why not migrating to Jomsocial or even Easysocial at all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
11 years 14 hours ago #235410 by beat
Replied by beat on topic CB 2.0 again
While Kype is working on CB 1.10, I'm working on CB 2.0. CB 2.0 will be an easy upgrade (it will be migrating the database automatically, like any other previous CB upgrade did before, just a bit more of it).

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
11 years 14 hours ago #235412 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic CB 2.0 again

beat wrote: While Kype is working on CB 1.10, I'm working on CB 2.0. CB 2.0 will be an easy upgrade (it will be migrating the database automatically, like any other previous CB upgrade did before, just a bit more of it).

Thanks for that update and clearifying that. However it is sad to see new extensions like Easysocial are surfacing. Why is it sad? Well because Jomsocial and Easysocial both have the modern look and feel which is more "Facebooklike" what most people are used to.
While I do believe that a lot is possible with CB it requires a lot of customization and 3rd party tools to do so. That makes every upgrade a terrible experience.

Surfacing of other community solution also shows there is a demand CB obviously cannot fill at this time. And currently there is lot of scepticism if it ever will. At least I don´t dare to ask anymore when CB2.0 will be released.

• beat
  • beat
11 years 13 hours ago #235413 by beat
Replied by beat on topic CB 2.0 again
You might be surprised by CB 1.10's new look ;-)

CB upgrading is very easy. Regarding terrible experience for upgrading CB (with 3rd party items?), can you please be more precise, so that we can address that ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• KatoKalin
  • KatoKalin
  • Add-ons
11 years 44 minutes ago - 11 years 41 minutes ago #235423 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic CB 2.0 again
Thanks for checking back. Ok let me clearifying it. The upgrade of CB itself is easy and great due to your quick preparation of upgrade packages and backwards compatibility.
The problem is upgrading Joomla an make sure that all the required 3rd party plugins also receive updates to work with the new Joomla and CB.
And I on´t mean requirement of exotic features but features that makes CB an up to date social solution. For example: www.jomwall.com and www.joomduck.com . If such features were built in it would make upgrading easier.

So what you should address from my point of view:

1. Feature completeness in terms of up to date features to reduce need of 3rd party tools
2. Reduce need of core hacks for layout

But there are other things where Joomlapolis should improve:
1. Make it easier to develop for CB by improving your documentation: See what Easysocial is doing: docs.stackideas.com/developers
2. Offer paid customization service.

CB is great and a lot is possible. But everything seems to be a bit outdated and complicated compared to your competitors solutions.

If you would address these issues quickly CB surely could be on top of all existing solutions again. At this time for me (and I am only speaking for myself here) it is not.

And I am not talking about doing all this for free. While it is great that there is a free version, a feature complete version does not have to be for free. I wouldn´t even mind if you would raise the cost for that to the same level like your competitors, which is 149 Euros for Easysocial for example.

Edit: Of course I am interested in the new layout of CB 1.10. I see 90 tickets open in forge and it is scheduled for end of this month but I doubt that.
Last edit: 11 years 41 minutes ago by KatoKalin.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon