Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Pro right system for civiCRM/Joomla site?

• morphpr
  • morphpr
10 years 9 months ago #239103 by morphpr
Hi

I hope you can help. I'm looking at building a Joomla website integrated with CiviCRM to manage membership subscriptions and other contact activities with members. CiviCRM works with the Joomla ACL and so will synchronise username, usergroups and email details so that my client will no longer have to double key such details into a website and then into a separate database.

I think CB could offer a great facility to my client's members so that they can stay in touch with each other and share information easily once logged into the website. For it to be viable though I think it would need to be able to do the following:

1. Be synchronised with the Joomla ACL so that once members log into the front end (registered users) of the site, they will be able to access their CB 'dashboard/wall' page via a menu item without having to enter separate login details. In fact we wouldn't want them to be able to enter different login details for CB but instead for the CB profile to be pulled ideally from civiCRM (itself synced with Joomla ACL without scope for members changing their details in CB). It would ideally pull the name, email, password, avatar and local group detail (eg south market town group) from civiCRM - generating 'linked' CB profiles for each member and also generating all of these local groups in CB which the respective members would be assigned to.

2. We will be importing 1000's of users into civiCRM and generating their Joomla user profiles - we'd need to be able to use this approach to also generate their basic CB profile as above.

3. Currently only certain member types/roles are able to create groups outside of CB - and these will have a distinct joomla user group. If we introduced CB we'd need to at least initially to restrict the capacity to create groups and events to certain member types.

Could you advise me whether in principle CB appears as though it could help here, to what extent you think it could meet the requirements above and any other thoughts which you think may be helpful.

Sorry if this should be obvious to me but I couldn't find it elsewhere in the site.

Many thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #239142 by nant
Hi and thanks for contacting us - see comments below ...

morphpr wrote: Hi

I hope you can help. I'm looking at building a Joomla website integrated with CiviCRM to manage membership subscriptions and other contact activities with members. CiviCRM works with the Joomla ACL and so will synchronise username, usergroups and email details so that my client will no longer have to double key such details into a website and then into a separate database.

You should check out the free Joomla2CiviCRM plugin we released here:
civicrm.org/extensions/joomla-2-civicrm-user-synchronization

You should also keep in mind that CB Auto Actions (available with Professional membership) supports civiCRM actions.

I think CB could offer a great facility to my client's members so that they can stay in touch with each other and share information easily once logged into the website. For it to be viable though I think it would need to be able to do the following:

1. Be synchronised with the Joomla ACL so that once members log into the front end (registered users) of the site, they will be able to access their CB 'dashboard/wall' page via a menu item without having to enter separate login details. In fact we wouldn't want them to be able to enter different login details for CB but instead for the CB profile to be pulled ideally from civiCRM (itself synced with Joomla ACL without scope for members changing their details in CB). It would ideally pull the name, email, password, avatar and local group detail (eg south market town group) from civiCRM - generating 'linked' CB profiles for each member and also generating all of these local groups in CB which the respective members would be assigned to.

CB is already synchronized with Joomla and the free plugin (see previous answer) will take care of new registrations on your site pushing synchronization back to CiviCRM.

There is no CiviCRM back to Joomla sync functionality that I am aware of - someone would need to implement this from the CiviCRM side.

2. We will be importing 1000's of users into civiCRM and generating their Joomla user profiles - we'd need to be able to use this approach to also generate their basic CB profile as above.

You can do this but it will not generate the Joomla/CB records. And it would be a challenge to generate the username/password part in Joomla.

You might want to rethink your process and go the other way. Import users in CB/Joomla (see CB Juice) and then run CiviCRM sync tool (part of CiviCRM) to sync the records.

Then do a Civi contact import to update missing data from CiviCRM.

3. Currently only certain member types/roles are able to create groups outside of CB - and these will have a distinct joomla user group. If we introduced CB we'd need to at least initially to restrict the capacity to create groups and events to certain member types.

If by groups you mean frontend common interest groups (and not Joomla ACL groups), then you should look at CB GroupJive.

Could you advise me whether in principle CB appears as though it could help here, to what extent you think it could meet the requirements above and any other thoughts which you think may be helpful.

Sorry if this should be obvious to me but I couldn't find it elsewhere in the site.

Many thanks for your help.

Hope my answers help.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by nant.

• dwebber
  • dwebber
9 years 6 months ago #261551 by dwebber
Replied by dwebber on topic CB Pro right system for civiCRM/Joomla site?
Hi Nant,

I appreciate this is an old topic but I have a question whether you were able to civicrm to collect data from the CB registration form to auto populate the details within civicrm?

I have installed the version 2.0 plugin on my test site along with the latest CB 2.07 on J3.4.1 and the functionality is still working correctly. It would be great if the extra details are able to be mapped from the CB registration form to the Civicrm user db.

Dave

• nant
  • nant
9 years 6 months ago #261575 by nant

dwebber wrote: Hi Nant,

I appreciate this is an old topic but I have a question whether you were able to civicrm to collect data from the CB registration form to auto populate the details within civicrm?

I have installed the version 2.0 plugin on my test site along with the latest CB 2.07 on J3.4.1 and the functionality is still working correctly. It would be great if the extra details are able to be mapped from the CB registration form to the Civicrm user db.

Dave

Nope - there was a CB Auto Action that handled civicrm actions (to push data to civicrm), but we dropped it as the civicrm api was just a moving target at the time.

• dwebber
  • dwebber
9 years 6 months ago #261588 by dwebber
Replied by dwebber on topic CB Pro right system for civiCRM/Joomla site?
Thanks for the quick answer, not sure why I didn't look to CB Auto Actions before, it fill's in the missing link that I have had, just a shame that the CiviCrm component has been dropped.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon