Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CBSubs use feasability

• ricsbel
  • ricsbel
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #247052 by ricsbel
CBSubs use feasability was created by ricsbel
I need a subscription type extension to handle software licenses. Please can you tell me if the points in the description below are possible with CBSubs?

Scenario for selling time-limited software product licenses
1. Each software product has a licence period of 3, 6 and 12 months.
2. The user can select the maximum number of users from 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100.
3. The user is shown the price based on the number of users selected.
4. The user can login or create an account.
5. The user makes payment from a choice of payment gateways (Paypal plus others to be decided).
6. Once payment is confirmed I need to be able to add code to display a license code.
7. The user can see all their licenses including the licence code at any time.
8. The user will receive a renewal notice (or invoice) before the license expires.
9. The user can, during the license period, select a higher number of users and pay the difference. The end date remains the same.
10. The user can, during the license period, renew the licence period and it will run after the end of the current period. The renewal can be for any number of users from the list.
There is also a requirement to allow resellers to manage their own customers’ licenses at a discounted price. I suspect this will not be possible so would it be possible for a reseller (who logs in as a normal user) to set-up licenses and add a comment to indicate which customer they belong to? Can this reseller also get an automatic discount on the price?
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by ricsbel. Reason: Typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
10 years 2 months ago #247068 by nant
Replied by nant on topic CBSubs use feasability

ricsbel wrote: I need a subscription type extension to handle software licenses. Please can you tell me if the points in the description below are possible with CBSubs?

See comments below ..

1. Each software product has a licence period of 3, 6 and 12 months.

You would need to create 3 different subscription plans for each product - one for each duration

2. The user can select the maximum number of users from 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100.

There is no such direct feature.
Best current work-around would be to have a CB field that user can set with desired user count (drop-down) and then create a promotion that adds (negative promotion) based on user count.

3. The user is shown the price based on the number of users selected.

See previous replies - there is no direct feature that does this - you would need to use automatic promotions and a CB field to trigger promotions.

4. The user can login or create an account.

Account creation is always the case - CBSubs purchases must be done from an existing account or in the account creation process.

5. The user makes payment from a choice of payment gateways (Paypal plus others to be decided).

CBSubs supports Paypal and other payment methods also. You can customize payment icons to show which gateway is used (example Visa via Paypal vs. Visa via Google checkout).

6. Once payment is confirmed I need to be able to add code to display a license code.

You can use a CBSubs SQL query action or URL action to do this.
You can also use a CB Query field (need Professional membership) to show license or push license code in the CBSubs SQL action to a CB field value that is displayed on the user profile.

7. The user can see all their licenses including the licence code at any time.

See previous reply regarding CB Query field.

8. The user will receive a renewal notice (or invoice) before the license expires.

CBSubs mailer can be configured to send reminder notices based on subscription end date (or X days before or after).

9. The user can, during the license period, select a higher number of users and pay the difference. The end date remains the same.

At present upgrading does not work like this. Upgrading to a different plan will restart the subscription period but the residual value left on the current plan will be subtracted from upgrade fee (is so configured).

10. The user can, during the license period, renew the licence period and it will run after the end of the current period. The renewal can be for any number of users from the list.

Early renewal is configurable - changing to a different user count is an upgrade process (see previous comment on this).

There is also a requirement to allow resellers to manage their own customers’ licenses at a discounted price. I suspect this will not be possible so would it be possible for a reseller (who logs in as a normal user) to set-up licenses and add a comment to indicate which customer they belong to? Can this reseller also get an automatic discount on the price?

No direct feature to do this.

Based on this aspect I would say that CBSubs is not currently suited for this use case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon