Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Totally confused about CB versions

9 years 11 months ago #252363 by frizzlebutt
Totally confused about CB versions was created by frizzlebutt
OK, so here we are to make a decision about integrating a website with social media. As longtime CB (free version) users, CB Advanced or Pro is obviously on the shortlist.

I see that if we opt for the CB Pro (the paid for) product, it is cited as version 1.9.something.

But then we see there is a version 2.0.1??

How are we to decide? How confident can we be that our current CB data won't be trashed if we upgrade to 2.n? Should we upgrade to 2.0 (advanced or pro) at all?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
9 years 11 months ago #252380 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Totally confused about CB versions

frizzlebutt wrote: OK, so here we are to make a decision about integrating a website with social media. As longtime CB (free version) users, CB Advanced or Pro is obviously on the shortlist.

I see that if we opt for the CB Pro (the paid for) product, it is cited as version 1.9.something.

But then we see there is a version 2.0.1??

How are we to decide? How confident can we be that our current CB data won't be trashed if we upgrade to 2.n? Should we upgrade to 2.0 (advanced or pro) at all?

Thanks

Ok - first of all let me clear out a misunderstanding.

CB Quickstart PRO is just a single installable package that has CB 1.9.1 and a number of paid add-ons in one single installable Joomla package.

So in essence it is just a bundling that is provided so people can quickly get up to speed and not have to download various add-ons and install them one by one.

Advantages: single installable package
Disadvantages: single package only contains a specific set of add-ons (those arbitrarily considered by us as popular).

If you have followed the CB 2.0 improvements you will notice that CB 2.0 is now a single Joomla package (component, modules and plugins) are contained in the CB 2.0 distribution. This means that the need for a CB 2.0 compatible Quickstart PRO package for CB 2.0 is not as important as it was for CB 1.9.1.

There will be a new CB 2.0 compatible quickstart PRO package in the future - after the remaining add-ons have been upgraded for full CB 2.0 compatibility based on this live article:

www.joomlapolis.com/cb-20-addon-status

So you can purchase an Advanced or Professional membership if you want and then install CB 2.0.2 (latest release is this) and any CB 2.0 compatible add-on according to the last URL I sent.

Sorry for the long post - just trying to be clear so I do not further confuse you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon