Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Tab and User groups

• clickmo
  • clickmo
13 years 6 months ago #161190 by clickmo
CB Tab and User groups was created by clickmo
Is it possible to make a CB Tab appear only on specific user group?

For example, I have an admin tab that I only want to appear for admin profile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 6 months ago #161202 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: CB Tab and User groups
On Joomla 1.5 you can publish a tab to a specific group and it will show up for that group and above.

Lower groups will not see it.

Not sure how J16x behaves here.

• clickmo
  • clickmo
13 years 6 months ago #161249 by clickmo
Replied by clickmo on topic Re: CB Tab and User groups
Currently running 1.6x

Swapping to 1.5 is not really an option.

I see the feature to assign the tab to specific user groups, it works when you edit it in your profile, but not when you view a profile.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 6 months ago #161268 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: CB Tab and User groups

clickmo wrote: Currently running 1.6x

Swapping to 1.5 is not really an option.

I see the feature to assign the tab to specific user groups, it works when you edit it in your profile, but not when you view a profile.

Regarding Joomla 1.6.x please read this:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/161264-joomla-162-breaks-many-extensionstemplates

Regarding feature not working - sorry it works just fine for me on a Joomla 1.5.22 website (just retested to be sure) and also on Joomla 1.6.1.

• clickmo
  • clickmo
13 years 6 months ago #161391 by clickmo
Replied by clickmo on topic Re: CB Tab and User groups
I should clarify a bit of what I am looking for.

The tab with this information will be editable by a specific access group. If another access group tries to view the profile of a person that can edit this tab, they should see the information.

Example:

User A is part of Group A.
User B is part of Group B.

Group A has access to the tab and can modify it's contents in the profile. Group B does not have access to modify the tab, nor do they get any of those contents on their profile.

User A logs in, edits the tab, the info shows in their profile.

User B logs in, cannot see the tab on his profile therefore can't edit it, but when he views the profile of User A, he sees the tab and the information that User A has modified.

Hopefully that cleared it up.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #161394 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Tab and User groups
Tab access group also determines the fields on that tabs access. CB does not have dual permissions for view and/or edit, they are 1 in the same. For example if you set a tab to Author then only authors and up can see/edit fields on that tab. Registered users will NOT see its contents.

To work around this you should create your tabs with their edit access such as Author then set its position to a not shown on profile position. Once done you'd create a new tab visible to everyone (or a new usergroup) then render all those fields from the Author tab using delimiter fields and substitutions (see tutorials in signature for substitution usage information). Substitutions can contain IF statements as well allowing you to limit to various conditions the contents display.

What you're wanting is not possible in ANY release of CB or Joomla. We're planning more fine tuned access controls for CB 2.0 as is too large a change for a 1.x release.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon