Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Advice needed, please.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #161546 by byrannewell
[SOLVED] Advice needed, please. was created by byrannewell
I'm looking to have a registration area on my front page that has only a few fields. After the user enters the info in those fields (name, desired username, password, email), he'll be taken to a new page.

The new page will give him a little more info about the site and the price of membership per month (where it is a recurring billing). Clicking on next, he'll be taken to a new page where he'll put in all his credit card info, and pay for the order. In an ideal world, his address, city, and state will be saved in to his user profile, to avoid having to ask him that later.

After buying, he'd be taken to a screen where he fills out the rest of his required registration (profile pic, as well as other required data).

Also, I'd like to be able to let them log in using Facebook, but they still HAVE to go through the buying process, and then the additional profile fields area. Is this possible?

And... (I know, I know), there will be two user types—one paid, one unpaid. The unpaid user should be able to log in with FB, Google, or Twitter in order to leave comments. In some rare cases, the unpaid user may want to convert to a paid user.

What's the best way to handle this, and what components/plugins are ideal?

I initially was going to use the CB Conditional, CB Subs, and CB Connect, but I'm not sure if I can accomplish what I want to do with just using them. Also, I'm not sure how well they play with each other—if, for instance, the CB Conditional mod can to do the user reg as I want, can it be used in conjunction with CB Subs? And will the CB Connect component allow me to make sure that users still complete the steps of paying?

I can really use some guidance here.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #161561 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Advice needed, please.

I'm looking to have a registration area on my front page that has only a few fields. After the user enters the info in those fields (name, desired username, password, email), he'll be taken to a new page.

The new page will give him a little more info about the site and the price of membership per month (where it is a recurring billing). Clicking on next, he'll be taken to a new page where he'll put in all his credit card info, and pay for the order. In an ideal world, his address, city, and state will be saved in to his user profile, to avoid having to ask him that later.

After buying, he'd be taken to a screen where he fills out the rest of his required registration (profile pic, as well as other required data).

CB nor any plugin provides page by page registration, BUT you can have step by step registration using CB Conditional incubator project which will do exactly as you're wanting, but without page loads.

Also, I'd like to be able to let them log in using Facebook, but they still HAVE to go through the buying process, and then the additional profile fields area. Is this possible?

And... (I know, I know), there will be two user types—one paid, one unpaid. The unpaid user should be able to log in with FB, Google, or Twitter in order to leave comments. In some rare cases, the unpaid user may want to convert to a paid user.

Impossible as FBC, Twitter, and CB Connect skip registration process and instantly create/login the user. Until CBSubs API has opened up (no idea when) I've no plans to implement CBSubs support. CB Connect can provide all of the logins you're wanting as well as commenting via Gadgets or Social Plugin fields.

I initially was going to use the CB Conditional, CB Subs, and CB Connect, but I'm not sure if I can accomplish what I want to do with just using them. Also, I'm not sure how well they play with each other—if, for instance, the CB Conditional mod can to do the user reg as I want, can it be used in conjunction with CB Subs?

The combination sounds best for your needs and yes CB Conditional plays well with CBSubs except when showing/hiding fields that are hidden by a CBSubs plan (only time a conflict occurs).

And will the CB Connect component allow me to make sure that users still complete the steps of paying?

This is the only thing of all your requests that is not doable. Users of course can subscribe AFTER logging in via CB Connect.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 6 months ago #161562 by byrannewell
Replied by byrannewell on topic Re: Advice needed, please.
Thanks for the quick reply, Kyle.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon