Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Can't assign different plan from backend

• apdt
  • apdt
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #165393 by apdt
I'm trying to structure plans that allows upgrading. The parent-child structure as I posted here is not ideal because it doesn't make sense for user to upgrade 'associate' and 'upgrade' plans each year when he's actually a 'full' member.

So now I created a merchandise plan with the idea that user will buy the one-time upgrade, then contact the website admin who will manually change his subscription from 'associate' to 'full'. This way, he will be subscribed to the 'full' plan.

- Associate Member (Parent) - Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade
--- Upgrade to Full (Child) - Merchandise, non exclusive

- Full Member (Parent) - Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade

The problem is, when I view user's subscription from backend I can't see the 'full' plan. I can only unsubscribe or delete his current subscription. I tried both to unsubscribe and delete, thinking all the plans will be visible just like when I manually add new users, but what happened was I couldn't see any subscriptions at all.

So how can I manually assign user different subscriptions?

Another problem is I set the upgrade plan limit (occurrence) to 1 but user can buy the upgrade multiple times.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago #165412 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Can't assign different plan from backend
The reason you can't edit the user and change subscription to Full is you've set the Full Member plan to "No Upgrade". Once it has been set to allow upgrades you should be able to upgrade them just fine. Please keep in mind backend respects limitations set when configuring the plans themselves. For total number of occurrences are you setting this for the Merchandise plan and its not functioning?

The best approach being is to have 2 plans and enable prorating, but this won't give you the flat $10 upgrade fee.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• apdt
  • apdt
13 years 4 months ago #165495 by apdt
The reason I set 'Full Membership' to no-upgrade is because I don't want user to upgrade through this from frontend, for the reason I mentioned in the other thread, i.e. it's not possible for user to pay just for the plan price difference (not prorated).

I also can't make the plans prorated because this is one of my client's business requirements.

Does buying merchandise plan trigger 'activation'? Can I do SQL Action so when someone buy the upgrade, an SQL statement to change his current subscription ID is executed. Doesn't sound safe to me but this is the last resort :(

For total number of occurrences, yes, I set it to 1 but user can still see the plan after buying. I will do some tests again for this to make sure.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago #165512 by krileon

Does buying merchandise plan trigger 'activation'? Can I do SQL Action so when someone buy the upgrade, an SQL statement to change his current subscription ID is executed. Doesn't sound safe to me but this is the last resort

Yes, merchandise plans can fire some integrations, but you should not be using a merchandise plan in this scenario.

For total number of occurrences, yes, I set it to 1 but user can still see the plan after buying. I will do some tests again for this to make sure.

They should be able to see the plan, but not buy the plan.

I recommend the below setup.

Associate Member (Parent) - $25, Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade
-Upgrade to Full (Child) - $10, Subscription, non exclusive
Full Member (Parent) - $30, Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade

The prices are just examples, but the idea is to have the Full plan simply extend the associate plan. Adjust the associate plan as necessary to account for the $10 recurring subscription of the full upgrade. Alternatively you could make the full upgrade a single purchase with a duration of lifetime. Users would receive a $5 discount for obtaining the full subscription directly.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• apdt
  • apdt
13 years 4 months ago #165521 by apdt

krileon wrote: Yes, merchandise plans can fire some integrations, but you should not be using a merchandise plan in this scenario.

May I know why? The reason I didn't set it as lifetime subscription plan is so member won't see it displayed in their profile after the upgrade since it's a one-off upgrade.

I recommend the below setup.

Associate Member (Parent) - $25, Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade
-Upgrade to Full (Child) - $10, Subscription, non exclusive
Full Member (Parent) - $30, Subscription, exclusive, no upgrade

The prices are just examples, but the idea is to have the Full plan simply extend the associate plan. Adjust the associate plan as necessary to account for the $10 recurring subscription of the full upgrade.

With the above setup, user will end up in situation like I mentioned in another thread: they will have 2 plans (associate + upgrade) forever instead of being a truly 'full' member. Plus, filtering by plan at backend will be confusing as there are real Full members and those who upgrade (how to filter these users?)

In addition, I can't change the price since it means changing my client's business model.

Alternatively you could make the full upgrade a single purchase with a duration of lifetime. Users would receive a $5 discount for obtaining the full subscription directly.

This is what I'm trying to do by creating a one-off plan/merchandise. But then I found out there is no way to manually assign user to another plan unless the plan is set to be upgrade, which is not possible since CBSubs doesn't allow payment of the price difference only.

Honestly I don't know how to solve this problem :(

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #165528 by krileon

May I know why? The reason I didn't set it as lifetime subscription plan is so member won't see it displayed in their profile after the upgrade since it's a one-off upgrade.

The plan will remain displaying regardless of plan type, which is a good thing so the user knows what they've bought.

With the above setup, user will end up in situation like I mentioned in another thread: they will have 2 plans (associate + upgrade) forever instead of being a truly 'full' member. Plus, filtering by plan at backend will be confusing as there are real Full members and those who upgrade (how to filter these users?)

From backend would be a matter of checking both plans; shouldn't be an issue, review users from 1 full membership plan then users from another afterwards. Of course they'd have 2 plans, but am not sure what else to suggest to you. CBSubs is quite powerful, but it certainly will not fill every single imaginable role.

In addition, I can't change the price since it means changing my client's business model.

That would be something to discuss with your client ensuring they understand the limitations of the software. Sometimes what a client wants isn't always doable/available, avoid empty promises as well (ones you couldn't possibly fulfill).

Honestly I don't know how to solve this problem

Bottom line is exactly what you're wanting can not be done. I've afforded several alternatives to come close to what you're wanting, but exactly what you're wanting is not available. I recommend reviewing many of the suggested approaches, testing them, then presenting them to your client; explain a limitation of software is being imposed and it shouldn't be an issue assuming you did not make a obligatory promise that it could be done all is well!

Also note if you want to leave your plan setup exactly how it is you can assign users to the Full plan using the Import feature, which will bypass the limitations of No Upgrade, but that's a lot of manual work involved to upgrade a user.

Only other suggestion I can make is to set an Initial price and duration for the Full Membership plan as $10 and allow upgrades. By doing this the first time the user purchases the Full Membership plan it'll only cost $10 for the initial duration; afterwards it'd revert to the regular price and duration. This however applies to ANYONE subscribing to it; not just users from the Associate Membership plan.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon