Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Forum integration | advice for plugin choice

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #170767 by pepperstreet
Hello,
sorry for asking a simple question. In general I do all my investigations and tests on my own... before I post anything ;-) Just wanted to ask for experiences with Forum integration plugin (Kunena). There is one installed by default and there is the incubator project...

Which one do you prefer, and why... any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #170782 by krileon
Incubator project is significantly up to date and modernized with a template-able design. It's entirely up to you which you use, but I recommend CB Forums; after-all I wrote it, lol. ;) You can actually use both at the same time. CB Forums for the more attractive profile tab and Forum integration for the sidebar, which CB Forums only basically supports at this time (field mapping).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #170785 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: Forum integration | advice for plugin choice

krileon wrote: ...You can actually use both at the same time. CB Forums for the more attractive profile tab and Forum integration for the sidebar, which CB Forums only basically supports at this time (field mapping).

Ah, thank you very much. "Both" is a nice idea!

• schelly
  • schelly
13 years 2 months ago #170801 by schelly
Hi and thank you for all you do to help us get up and running.

I've set up GroupJive and Kunena on 1.5 versions of Joomla, but since 1.6 is already so close to end-of-life, I thought I'd go ahead and jump forward a bit to 1.7 for this project. I bought my Professional subscription so I could download CB1.7 for that purpose, then grabbed the latest version of GJ (2.3) and Kunena (1.6.4). I have to say, J1.7 is nice! So is CB1.7. But everything falls apart when I install Kunena. So I was reading this thread and thought the forum integration might be contributing to the problem.

Unfortunately, when I go to the Incubator forge, I am not allowed to log in with the same credentials that I use here. I was under the impression I would be allowed access to the incubator as a professional member?

Anyway, the problem is that the Kunena configuration screen spins and spins and never comes up. It times out with a "memory" error. I'm working locally on my XAMPP environment, so I can set the memory limit in php.ini as high as I want. The problem is that no matter how high I set it, I still get timed out. It just takes longer to finally time out when I set it higher. *sigh*

The only clue I've been able to find is in the "report" output that Kunena builds in for its support usage. Under the 3rd Party Components / Community Builder it says "The file doesn't exist comprofilej.xml !". I searched the Kunena forums, but the answers I get over there is that they've never heard of CB1.7...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Schelly

Don't waste time and gas. Study with your team online at My Study Groups . Save time and money!

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #170864 by krileon

Unfortunately, when I go to the Incubator forge, I am not allowed to log in with the same credentials that I use here. I was under the impression I would be allowed access to the incubator as a professional member?

Log out of Joomlapolis then log back in. Once done navigate to the forge and login with your username/password.

Anyway, the problem is that the Kunena configuration screen spins and spins and never comes up. It times out with a "memory" error. I'm working locally on my XAMPP environment, so I can set the memory limit in php.ini as high as I want. The problem is that no matter how high I set it, I still get timed out. It just takes longer to finally time out when I set it higher. *sigh*

You should contact Kunena regarding this. We're not Kunenas developers. All extensions have to become re-compatible with J1.7. Extensions that run on 1.6 will NOT run on 1.7 unless modifications are made to make it compatible. From what I understand Kunena 1.6.4 is not compatible with J1.7. Please understand J1.7 has just release; you must allow ample time for leading extensions to become compatible. I do NOT recommend bumping production (live sites) to J1.7.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schelly

• schelly
  • schelly
13 years 2 months ago #170873 by schelly

krileon wrote: Log out of Joomlapolis then log back in. Once done navigate to the forge and login with your username/password.

Thanks Krileon, I'll try that.

You should contact Kunena regarding this. We're not Kunenas developers. All extensions have to become re-compatible with J1.7. Extensions that run on 1.6 will NOT run on 1.7 unless modifications are made to make it compatible. From what I understand Kunena 1.6.4 is not compatible with J1.7. Please understand J1.7 has just release; you must allow ample time for leading extensions to become compatible. I do NOT recommend bumping production (live sites) to J1.7.

Yes, as I said, I did search the Kunena forums and ask for help, but the answers I get over there is that they've never heard of CB1.7. I've later learned that K1.6.5 will address the compatibility problem. They were unable to tell me when that might come out, unfortunately.

One thing I read over there, though, I must say I agree with. Joomla developers do make it sound as though jumping over to 1.7 is a fairly immediate imperative. So it's difficult to get advice from component developers saying not to go to J!1.7 yet, even though I realize the truth of it and how well-meaning the advice is. Sometimes us "little folk" out here feel kind of stuck in the center without knowing exactly what way to go. In this case, I am giving up my consultancy firm and taking a full-time job and J!1.7 makes more sense for this organization because none of them are tech-savvy enough to upgrade Joomla without having an "upgrade" button (an easy button? LOL).

Anyway, thanks for your time. I appreciate you fine Joomlapolitans who do such magnificent things for us little people.

Best,
Schelly

Thanks.

Don't waste time and gas. Study with your team online at My Study Groups . Save time and money!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon