Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Connect gives error with facebook

13 years 3 days ago #179986 by bradley568
Replied by bradley568 on topic Re: CB Connect gives error with facebook
This is actually being tried on my live site. I have everything working that I need on CB but thought this would be a nice addition to make registration easier.

When I sign out and view my profile, I can see my wall appearing from facebook. But if I sign in as my user, it doesn't appear.

The only thing I have added to my tabs in CB is the facebook_social_plugin field.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 3 days ago #179988 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Connect gives error with facebook
Am absolutely confused now as first you state the issue is with Like and now you mention Wall? Please be consistent on what the issue is exactly so I better know how to advise you. Please note if you're using the fields to provide a Like or Wall specific to that profile ensure it's of the "ID" scope.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 days ago #179991 by bradley568
Please review the string because I have never mentioned Like at any point. My opening question was:

"I've just tried to create a field to connect to facebook with cb connect but I get the following error:
Warning: www.<mysite>.com/index.php/profile...adley568?fc_field=82 is unreachable.
I'm not sure what to do to get around this. Any suggestions? "

This error appears when I add the facebook_social_plugin field to my tabs.

I have played with it a little and now see that the field is using my current sign in to facebook to post on a users wall. Is this correct?
If that's the case, it seems to be having a problem when I'm sign in to facebook and also to my website. It then gives the error that I initially posted.

From the documentation, I thought that this field would display posts from the users facebook account but now it appears to do the opposite - it posts TOO the users wall on facebook.

As a secondary issue (I haven't investigate the forums for this yet) but I cannot create a new user and have the facebook profile pic automatically assigned to my website profile pic. I have mapped the 2 fields but it doesn't seem to work.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 3 days ago - 13 years 3 days ago #179994 by krileon

This error appears when I add the facebook_social_plugin field to my tabs.

I understand, but it's absolutely critical as to what social plugin you're adding. There's a complete drop-down list of plugins, which specially are you using.

I have played with it a little and now see that the field is using my current sign in to facebook to post on a users wall. Is this correct?

Yes, it's supposed to do that.

From the documentation, I thought that this field would display posts from the users facebook account but now it appears to do the opposite - it posts TOO the users wall on facebook.

Of course not. If it did that it'd be a massive violation of Facebook policy and get me and you alike in massive trouble, which wouldn't be good for either of us. It provides a private Wall on their profile powered by Facebook.

As a secondary issue (I haven't investigate the forums for this yet) but I cannot create a new user and have the facebook profile pic automatically assigned to my website profile pic. I have mapped the 2 fields but it doesn't seem to work.

The Facebook avatar is synchronize only 1 time and that's on new registrations through FB. If you're already registered via Joomla and Link then it won't synchronize. The profile picture in fields mapping only maps the URL to the image, it doesn't upload it; and this feature also only works for new registrations (as it implies being under the registration configuration). You should not map to the Avatar field as it will break the upload done on first time registration. Next release will state that it is only the URL.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 13 years 3 days ago by krileon.

13 years 3 days ago #180015 by bradley568
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I just misunderstood what it was going to do.

I'm only using the facebook_social_plugin field. So that should give me a wall that people can post to. I may delete this since I'm not sure I want my users to do this yet.

Regarding the profile image; I have tried it with a new user who doesn't exist in my CB Users list but their image was not copied from Facebook. It copied their name, username and email but not the image.

You said it copies the url, so is that going to display the users image from facebook or do I need to do something else?

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 3 days ago #180023 by krileon

I'm only using the facebook_social_plugin field. So that should give me a wall that people can post to. I may delete this since I'm not sure I want my users to do this yet.

Again, the field can render numerous different types of social plugins via the drop-down select; it's very helpful know which one you're using specifically.

Regarding the profile image; I have tried it with a new user who doesn't exist in my CB Users list but their image was not copied from Facebook. It copied their name, username and email but not the image.

Ensure in the configuration of CB Connect for Facebook that you are not mapping anything to the Avatar field as this is done automatically (same for name and email).

You said it copies the url, so is that going to display the users image from facebook or do I need to do something else?

The field mapping for the profile image is just the URL, it does not actually upload the image to your server. You can't use it to pass to an image fieldtype or anything of the sort as again it's just a URL. The avatar is automatically synchronized for you, do not map to the Avatar field.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon