Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[Use Case Scenario Question]

• edjec
  • edjec
  • Add-ons
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #184693 by edjec
[Use Case Scenario Question] was created by edjec
A client just realized that they need a method of handling Gift Membership transactions. The preferred workflow would go something like this:

1. Member/Non-member purchases a Gift membership through VirtueMart cart.
2. Front office mails gift certificate to purchaser for later presentation to recipient.
3. Gift recipient visits site and logs on to register and create account.

OK with 1 & 2, but how do I set up #3 without opening the site up to unauthorized access and possible security issues?

Is there an existing case study for this situation or does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle it?

Would it be possible to use the new CB DB Lookup plugin to allow access for anyone who receives a gift certificate, but not allow reuse of an access code or number?

TIA

CB 1.7.1, CBSubs 1.2.2, J 1.5.25
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by edjec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 10 months ago #184694 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: [Use Case Scenario Question]
Perhaps you can make use of the new DB Lookup Field plugin (available for Professional members like yourself).

I am unclear about the workflow you are presenting, so I cannot give more guidance.

The DB Lookup plugin can help you because it can validate based on values entered in a database table.

• edjec
  • edjec
  • Add-ons
12 years 10 months ago #184697 by edjec
Replied by edjec on topic Re: [Use Case Scenario Question]
Is it somehow possible to restrict an access code in the DB table to only one use so the number can't be passed around?

• nant
  • nant
12 years 10 months ago #184698 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: [Use Case Scenario Question]

edjec wrote: Is it somehow possible to restrict an access code in the DB table to only one use so the number can't be passed around?

Yeah, that's the idea demonstrated in the project wiki:
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb-cbdblookupfield/wiki

• edjec
  • edjec
  • Add-ons
12 years 10 months ago #184700 by edjec
I just noticed the release of the DB Lookup plugin when I made this post and did not have time to review the wiki.

Will do so now.

Thanks Nant

• edjec
  • edjec
  • Add-ons
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #184712 by edjec
Nant,

Thanks for the DB Lookup plug-in! What a great tool. This will definitely help in processing the first part of the above workflow. I installed and implemented it on my test site but have identified new issues that need to be solved.

What happens after the DB Lookup process has completed is the registration proceeds as normal and the registrant is taken to the payment screen. Obviously, if they have received a gift certificate, they should not be required to pay.

What I need to do at this point is devise a method whereas if the gift certificate number has been verified by DB Lookup, that verification is intercepted, the CB Subs payment process is bypassed, a plan is assigned and the account is enabled and confirmed. Is this a scenario where Auto Actions or Conditionals could be used? I really don't have any experience using the Auto Actions plug-in yet and don't know where to start.

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by edjec.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon