Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Juice batch import and email in use error

• austega
  • austega
12 years 9 months ago #187194 by austega
I am using CBS1.2.2 with CB 1.7 on a J1.5.25 site and, using CB JUICE 2.0.4, am trying to batch import about 12000 subscribers from an offline membership system. Several data cleansing and other teething problems. The one I am currently wrestling with is the situation where existing members (ie couples) share the same email address (and are quite happy doing so) but need separate user profiles etc.

I have followed the approach suggested in forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=500&t=167296&start=0 and commented out the unique email address check in libraries/joomla/database/table/user.php (around L190).

However I am still getting a "Error in register store: WARNREG_MAIL" message when using CB JUICE2. I expect this means that there is a separate email address in use check in CB JUICE or in CB that operates in addition to the one adjusted above (which probably only operates on a Joomla Registration form).

I am trying to find this other checking point (or of course another practical way around this issue).

So far I have found:

L143 in /components/com_comprofiler.php
if ( class_exists( 'JFactory' ) ) { // Joomla 1.5 : for string WARNREG_EMAIL_INUSE used in error js popup.

and for CBJuice I suspect the relevant action takes place in /administrator/components/com_cbjuice2/controllers/add_edit.php but cannot find the exact part with confidence.

Can you help me resolve a method for disabling the unique email address check as part of a CB Juice Batch Add?

Thanks - David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 9 months ago #187210 by nant
The thread you have referenced in 5 years old!

I will bring this to the attention of the CB Juice folks but you need to be aware that Joomla (since 1.5 and forward) does require unique usernames and email addresses. Hacking the system will most likely cause issues elsewhere in Joomla or installed extensions.

I cannot even begin to imagine what issues this will cause to CB and CBSubs and of course if such issues surface due to the hacked joomla code, there is no way we can support you.

I think everyone desiring non unique email addresses in Joomla should get organized and voice this desire as loudly and politely as possible.

• austega
  • austega
12 years 9 months ago #187235 by austega
Thanks for the reply, Nant, and for raising it with CB Juice and for the general warning which I appreciate and understand. I will pass on this perspective on to my client to see if I can change their approach.

I guess one of the reasons why this option of non-unique email addresses did not get very far 5 years ago is that those wanting the ability to use non-unique emails were not only not the majority but were also not generally advanced enough technically to contribute to Joomla's development.

I assume you will let me know of any feedback that comes from CB Juice to you rather than direct.

• jciconsult
  • jciconsult
12 years 9 months ago #187266 by jciconsult
Replied by jciconsult on topic Re: CB Juice batch import and email in use error
Note: if you create duplicate emails, people will not be able to edit their profiles.
There is an implicit two-pass workaround which I can discuss with you in a PM but it is ABSOLUTELY NOT recommended.
My recommendation is that you create alias in any site email system you are using or use dummy unique emails such as zzz@invalid.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon