Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Restrict Viewing of User Profiles

• drdamo
  • drdamo
12 years 6 months ago #198129 by drdamo
Restrict Viewing of User Profiles was created by drdamo
I have tried searching for this but not been able to find the answer I want. Apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I have CB1.8 with CBSubs1.3 on Joomla 2.5.4

I wish to use CB and CBSubs to manage memberships NOT to create a social networking site. I want users to be able to view and edit their own profiles but under no circumstances must they be able to view anyone else's profile. However I want the usergroup 'Senior Staff' to be able to view any user profiles from the front end.

I have done the following and want to know if this is sufficient or if there is anything else I need to do

* Lists are set 'View Access Level' as STAFF
* Under user profile 'Allow Access To' is set to 'Senior Staff'
* The CB Profile menu item is set to Registered Users
* Under Connections 'Enable Connections' is set to NO
* CB Connections plugin is unpublished

Is this 100% water-tight or could a registered user view someone else's profile by some means?

Is there anything else I can do to make sure the site works as I want it to?

Thanks

Damian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 6 months ago #198184 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Restrict Viewing of User Profiles
With those settings I don't think a user could even access their own profile. Ensure you've tested it thoroughly. You may want to use CB Auto Actions to force a redirect to prevent someone from viewing a profile other then their own (check [get_user] to see if user is present in the URL then redirect away).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drdamo

• drdamo
  • drdamo
12 years 6 months ago #198512 by drdamo
Replied by drdamo on topic Re: Restrict Viewing of User Profiles
Thank you for your reply

Users can view and edit their own profile but don't appear to be able to view other people's profile (though staff can see any profile).

I like belt and braces so will have a look at the CB Auto Actions option for extra security.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon