Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Forgot password/username

12 years 4 months ago #201930 by TailorMadeSites
Forgot password/username was created by TailorMadeSites
Hi

Wanted to ask - If for example a guest goes to "forgot login/password" page, and let's say for example that the guest knows someone's email in the site, and inputs that email in "forgot login/password", will the password and/or login just change and the real user will just receive an email that his/her password/username is changed?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 4 months ago #201975 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Forgot password/username
It'll change and send the new password to the email address associated with the account. If CB Captcha is installed it can be enabled to have captcha on forgot login to help stop spamming.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 months ago #201996 by TailorMadeSites
Replied by TailorMadeSites on topic Re: Forgot password/username
So this means that this is a bug?

Yes let's say that I received on email the new password but I didn't want to change the password... why should I go and spend time to change again the password to the one I had before + what if the other person again does this and again ... this is definitely not good for the normal user...

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 4 months ago #202006 by krileon
No, why would it be a bug? It's how nearly all password resets work. The alternative is to send a confirmation before the change then only change after the link is clicked, but that's not commonly used. Something we'll improve with CB 2.0 of course, but as is it's fine and has been this way for years (this is also how Joomlas functions).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 4 months ago #202017 by TailorMadeSites
Replied by TailorMadeSites on topic Re: Forgot password/username
Yeah I also thinked that the user should first "confirm" the password change, I think you agree with me that this is not really a very "correct" way how it works now?

Maybe you can make this for 1.8 version?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 4 months ago #202082 by krileon
I don't agree, it's normally how password resets work. The confirmation email is something new that sites have begun using. We'll be improving on this in CB 2.0, but how it is now is how it is staying for CB 1.x releases. When you've millions of people using to doing X you don't change it to doing Y as it causes a lot of confusion and issues. CB and Joomla have functioned this way for years. Suddenly changing the entire process is not a change we can make in a 1.x release as users expect it to function how it functions now. However, again this is something we'll improve with CB 2.0 where it's an openbook and we're free to make large changes.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon