Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Resizing Tabs

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203481 by KillerSurfLinks
[SOLVED] Resizing Tabs was created by KillerSurfLinks
Does anybody know how I can resize tabs to fit the text within? The default tabs in the connection area, specifically "Manage Actions" and "Manage Connections” do not fit in the space allotted for them. Note these are not custom tabs, they are default connection tabs.

I'm using the Luna template with the old table based views. See attachments.

Can anybody identify a GUI modification I can make to make this work.

Thank you,
Mike
KillerSurfLinks.com

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #203534 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Resizing Tabs
You mean the tab title? It depends on what profile template you're using. OSX uses images for their backgrounds so it's fixed width. Use the default template for example and it should automatically size it self based off the title.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203579 by KillerSurfLinks
Replied by KillerSurfLinks on topic Re: Resizing Luna Tabs
Krileon,

Thank you for responding and you are correct the full text does fit in the tabs with the default template selected.

But, has anyone been able to make the text fit within the Luna template?

The Luna tabs, tooltips, pannels and menus look better on our site.

See attachment in original post for visual of problem.

I guess the real question is are the Luna tabs resizable?

If not, have to think of another solution like changing the number of characters in the language file for the "Manage Actions (0)" and "Manage Connections" tabs that came with the current build to fit the fixed size tabs.

Thanks
Mike
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by KillerSurfLinks. Reason: expanded on message

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #203616 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Resizing Luna Tabs

I guess the real question is are the Luna tabs resizable?

No, not without editing the images and the CSS. The tabs for Luna, OSX, and a few others are static width.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203837 by KillerSurfLinks
Replied by KillerSurfLinks on topic Re: Resizing Luna Tabs
Thanks again Krileon,

Do you know the path to the CB image directory and the CB CSS file responsible for the Luna tabs? If so, can you direct me to it?

Wait a minute, I do the simpler workaround... see next post

Thanks,
Mike
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by KillerSurfLinks. Reason: rethought solution

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203841 by KillerSurfLinks
Replied by KillerSurfLinks on topic Re: Resizing Tabs
So, because the Luna tab template is fixed in size and I really like how it looks on our site and the fact that I didn't want to mess with the CSS and images that support it because of future upgrades... I decided to go the simple route and just change the text inside the tab for the "Manage Connections" page.

This is a minor screw-up on CB side because they allow you to choose a tab style that does not support the default text size that comes in the original build. Non web developers would be stuck with text in a tab that does not fit or forced to choose another template that they really don't prefer.

So, for all of you non-web-developers, here is a work around I made work for me.

It was either modify the css and image size, which takes software and knowledge, which I can do and have, but knowing their was a muc simpler solution I chose it.

"Changing The Text Displayed in the Tab to fit the default tab size"

1. Open file - \components\com_comprofiler\plugin\language\default_language\default_language.php
  2. Search for the term in question. In my case it was "Manage Connections and Manage Actions.
  3. Change the text in question to something less that or equal to 11 characters. I changed it to "Connections" & "Actions", I took out the redundant word "Manage".
  4. Save the file and upload it to your server. in the proper location. {\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\language\default_language\default_language.php}

This solved my problem with Luna tab being too small or fixed size. There are many ways to skill a cat or in the software world we say there are many solutions to the same problem. If you don't want to mess around with the css file or luna images, then moving forward remember to keep the character size to 11 or less so the Luna tabs can accommodate them.

This is another way to fix the "Manage Connections" and "Manage Actions" tab to they fit in the luna tabs.

I hope it helps someone ;)

Mike
KillerSurfLinks.com

PS. for more insight check out the image in the first post and the image attached to this post. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by KillerSurfLinks.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon