Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Setting Up CB for 1st time - Joomla 2.5.6 CB 1.81

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203810 by jabrister
I wish it were that easy. I followed the the CB 1.81 installation instructions to the tee.
it seems as it's not written exactly for CB 1.81 & Joomla 2.5.6 (figures aren't quite the same). I couldn't understand how to turn off the Joomla registration and only have the CB registration turned on (but believe me I tried to decipher the instructions for hours). I chose "Yes, independently of global site setting" for "Allow User Registration" in the CB Configuration Manager. Now the difficult to decipher part of the CB 1.81 install instructions was what to turn off or on in the Joomla Global Configuration. I went to PERMISSIONS and denied the site login (thinking this is how you turn off the Joomla site login according to the CB 1.81 instuctions). I then didn't see a login on the home page of the site. When I turned this back on, I saw a login on the homepage. How do I actually turn off the Joomla user registration and get the CB user sign in regisration to appear on the landing page of the site?

In the "warning warning warning" section of the instructions, since I loaded Joomla without the sample data (was that a mistake btw), I didn't have a menu to nest the "User Profile (mandatory!)" menu link into; so, I don't know if I did that part correctly? Not sure how to tell if I did that part correctly either... but, it sounds like you don't think I did that part correctly? Do I need to make a menu and put it on the 1st page (or some page; does it matter?). Please explain how to do this(a nice simple step by step would be great). Please help me decipher:

Joomla 1.7.x/2.5 installations should follow these directions:
To add the CB Profile item to the User Menu we must take the following steps:
• Select Menus -> User Menu from your Joomla 1.7.x/2.5 website
administration panel. If your Joomla 1.7.x/2.5 installation was executed without
selecting ‘sample data’ to be included, you will not see a User menu. In this
case you can choose any existing menu or create a new one and use that
instead of the User menu described in the directions that follow.
• Select the (+) Add New Menu Item button and then click on the Select button
(to the right of the ‘Menu Item Type*’) to reveal a pop-up window with a
structure of selectable menu items.
• Choose User Profile (mandatory) from the comprofiler section.
• Populate the Menu Title*: field with CB Details (or any wording or your choice)
• Select Public from the drop down list of the Access: field IMPORTANT!
• Select the Published in the drop-down State: field
• Click on the Save & Close icon

1) Where (and how) do I put the new menu? What will the new menu be doing (so I can name it)? The choices I saw under Menu were: Menu Manager or Main Menu

2) I didn't see a "Select" button (to the right of the ‘Menu Item Type*’) to reveal a pop-up window with a structure of selectable menu items.select. Is that a version issue?

What I did was create a add a new menu item to the main menu (it was closest to the CB 1.81 instructions). Following the instructions, I: chose User Profile (mandatory!), gave it a title, ensured access was set to public, published it, an set menu location to main menu. What should I have done? How would I be able to find my new menu and modify it or delete it and start over? Did I do the right thing? If not, what should I do?

(Were you able to visit the site www.referencesrus.com ?) I do have a login visible on the front page . It only works for the admin login though. As I registered through it with a non admin entry, when I logged in with it, I was brought to a screen that said I was logged in but not allowed to view this private section of the site. So it does sound to me like I may not have the Joomla native registration turned off. If this is the case, please clear up the part in the instructions to let me know exactly (an easy step by step would be nice) how to turn on CB registration & turn off Joomla's. Also, please do the same and tell me exactly how to install the initial "User Profile (mandatory!" (again, an easy step by step would be nice).

On reading the welcome email for the "Community Pro" template, I will download the documentation and go from there. Still not sure how to load up the other addons and/or make them work. Is there documentation for each that I'm missing (if so please point out where to go for that; it doesn't seem like all of the addons are covered in the cb1.8.1_manual?

...thank so much for the superior product and superior support...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by jabrister. Reason: added the site back in

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #203814 by krileon

I couldn't understand how to turn off the Joomla registration and only have the CB registration turned on (but believe me I tried to decipher the instructions for hours). I chose "Yes, independently of global site setting" for "Allow User Registration" in the CB Configuration Manager. Now the difficult to decipher part of the CB 1.81 install instructions was what to turn off or on in the Joomla Global Configuration. I went to PERMISSIONS and denied the site login (thinking this is how you turn off the Joomla site login according to the CB 1.81 instuctions). I then didn't see a login on the home page of the site. When I turned this back on, I saw a login on the homepage. How do I actually turn off the Joomla user registration and get the CB user sign in regisration to appear on the landing page of the site?

You don't need to touch permissions. Please revert all your changes. Below is how you set CB to be independent.

Users > User Manager > Options > Component > then set "Allow User Registration" to "No"
Components > Community Builder > Configuration > Registration > then set "Allow User Registration" to "yes, independently of global site setting"

In the "warning warning warning" section of the instructions, since I loaded Joomla without the sample data (was that a mistake btw), I didn't have a menu to nest the "User Profile (mandatory!)" menu link into; so, I don't know if I did that part correctly? Not sure how to tell if I did that part correctly either... but, it sounds like you don't think I did that part correctly? Do I need to make a menu and put it on the 1st page (or some page; does it matter?). Please explain how to do this(a nice simple step by step would be great). Please help me decipher:

CB needs a published and public Joomla menu link for it to properly function (it needs the Itemid). You can add a menu link from Menus > Select a Menu > New > Select > comprofiler > User Profile (mandatory!). If you don't have a menu then you'll need to create one from Menus > Menu Manager.

The documentation describes all of this in detail, please read it very closely. Regarding your Joomla questions you can find Joomla documentation below. If it becomes too much of an issue I highly recommend employing out installation services for us to install CB for you.

docs.joomla.org/

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jabrister

• jabrister
  • jabrister
12 years 3 months ago #203820 by jabrister
CB needs a published and public Joomla menu link for it to properly function (it needs the Itemid). You can add a menu link from Menus > Select a Menu > New > Select > comprofiler > User Profile (mandatory!). If you don't have a menu then you'll need to create one from Menus > Menu Manager.

Do I need to put the dummy menu on the first page (or homepage/front end)? Does it have to be a dummy menu? What is a "menu link", is that a menu or somehow a "link"to a menu?

• nant
  • nant
Moderators: beatnantkrileon