Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Meta tag description + keywords in profile

• dotcom22
  • dotcom22
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #203911 by dotcom22
hello

When I look the user profile page code, I see the default Joomla meta description + meta keywords. I would like replace those meta by custom meta related to some custom profile field.

It seem except to use some SEF third party stuff, is not possible to do that and nothing seem available on your side.

The only thing I found is here:

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/77-cb-12-stable-general-discussion-area/101695-meta-tag-qdescriptionq?limit=6&start=6

I tested your non-official plugin but I don't see how to use it. Nothing appear on the page code even when I fill Tag and Content with some fields substitution. Anyway it seem this plugin don't solve the problem related to replace default meta description + keywords.

Other question:

The user profile page title displayed in the top browser and who will be also displayed in Google search result, is simply the username. For example on your own profile the page title is simply "krileon". Instead to display only that, I would here also display some complementary using field substitution infos like "krileon - 22 Oxford street - 16542 Chicago"

any clue please ?

thank

I use Joomla 3.3.6 - CB 2.0.4 - CBSubs 4 - Several Incubator plugins
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by dotcom22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #203963 by krileon
Best approach is to use CB Auto Actions as latest release has support to append metadata via Code action (Header or Page Title methods). Header uses CBs "addHeadCustomHtml" so you can add any HTML you want to the header of the page. Example as follows.

<meta name="profileuser" content="[username]" />

Believe my above suggestion handles both your issues as you can set page title with CB Auto Actions as well.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dotcom22
  • dotcom22
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #204019 by dotcom22
Replied by dotcom22 on topic Re: Meta tag description + keywords in profile
I just installed last Auto-Action 3.0.1 but I don't understand how to use in the way you mention.

When you talk about "addHeadCustomHtml" it is a trigger ? If yes I don't see this trigger in the list...

I tried to:

- Publish Action
- Choose "Code" type
- Insert addHeadCustomHtml in the trigger field
- Choose ACL "everybody"
- Choose "Header" method

..then I inserted <meta name="profileuser" content="[username]" /> inside Code field but I see no change in the userprofile code page.

I tried the same process but instead to put addHeadCustomHtml in the trigger field, I inserted onAfterUserUpdate but without success too.

However my goal was to replace those actual meta:

<meta name="description" content="default Joomla description set in Global Config" />

with

<meta name="description" content="[cb_description]" />

and same with meta keywords...but not to add new meta.

Some more explanation please ?

Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by dotcom22.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #204055 by krileon
You'd need to use the after profile display trigger to properly add meta to the profile.

However my goal was to replace those actual meta:

Oh, I see. For that I believe you're going to need to remove the global description from Joomla global configuration. Then use the method above to add your own to profiles. You can't simply replace them as the search spider will just grab the first one it sees (Joomlas). You need to first remove them then add your own.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dotcom22
  • dotcom22
12 years 3 months ago #204188 by dotcom22
Replied by dotcom22 on topic Re: Meta tag description + keywords in profile
I set like suggested "onAfterUserProfileDisplay" trigger and my custom code is now well inserted. However instead to be among first code lines, his position is more far and very near of closing head tag...but I suppose is not a big deal.

I removed also global Joomla description + keywords but now the related meta code is always present without value... Any other suggestion for remove those empty meta code or for replace with my own?

And what about title code? If Auto-Action don't allow me to change it, I don't see how I can remove the default one for include my custom title tag.

thank

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #204208 by krileon
Don't know what more to tell you. Spiders should ignore an empty metatag.

Regarding title, yes; just use a Code action with a method of Page Title (note there's a bug in older releases, please download latest so it works).

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon