Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Renewal by Member A ended up paying for Member B

• apdt
  • apdt
12 years 3 months ago #205326 by apdt
We have weird problem today. Member A (UserID: 1542) reported that he received email that his membership has been renewed. The problem is he didn't do the renewal.

I checked his subscription and found a basket and PayPal payment created today under his name. The item number for this payment is S747-1542-2 which is his SubscriptionID (747) and his UserID (1542).

The notification for this basket, however, shows Member B (UserID: 1549) under column First Name/Last Name/Email.

When I checked History & Logs for SubscriptionID 747, a new event "User subscription deactivated with status Expired" was created for Member B.

So the result is:
1) Member A had his membership renewed although he didn't make the payment
2) Member B's subscription is marked as expired now although she made the payment through PayPal.

This is the first time we had this kind of problem. All along payments through PayPal or Offline had no problem whatsoever.

My question is:

1) Any idea why this happened?

Does CBSubs use the item number (since it contains SubscriptionID + UserID) to determine who makes the payment? From the change logs, notification, history I can't find anything that can cause the mix up.

2) How to fix it?

I want to correct the basket + payment + logs, etc to point to the right member (Member B) and restore her membership status. Fixing the membership, I believe, can be done by re-activate her membership from admin panel. But how to fix the basket & payment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205327 by nant
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by nant.

• apdt
  • apdt
12 years 3 months ago #205331 by apdt
Sorry ..

Joomla 1.5.23
CB 1.4
CBSubs 1.1.2

Ancient, I know. We are upgrading next month to the latest CB/CBSubs but we've been using it for more than a year and never had this problem before.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #205337 by krileon
PayPal sends an IPN, which is what is used to mark the subscription as paid. Unless for some reason somehow the basket was tied to the wrong user then that could happen in theory, but I've never heard of such a thing. I recommend checking CBSubs > Baskets to see if Member B even had a basket to renew. Are Member A and Member B related by change, same computer?

It's hard to really say as your install is massively out of date and all 3 (Joomla, CB, and CBSubs) have new versions available.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• apdt
  • apdt
12 years 3 months ago #205434 by apdt
Hi Kyle,

Member B only has 1 basket dated a year back when she renewed her membership in 2011. There's no basket at all for her for the recent payment. Member A and B live in 2 different states so they can't be sharing computer.

Member B should initiate basket creation and payment process from within her membership so it seems that in this case, when she clicked the Renew button the basket created was already wrong and pointing to Member A.

Yeah, I understand our systems are outdated. Finally I may have client's approval to upgrade next month. But this is really the first time we have puzzling case like this.

Any suggestion how to fix it? I'm comfortable working with SQL so do you think it's safe to replace all reference to Member A's UserID in the basket/subscription/payment (and maybe logs) with Member B's UserID?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #205487 by krileon
As no basket exists really the only fix is removing the renewal from User A in CBSubs > Subscriptions (you'll need to change statuses, change dates, etc..) then manually adding it to User B through user management. First time I've heard of this happening and am quite stumped. Just don't see how it could do that unless somehow maybe the form was cached and the caching gave User B the form from User A resulting in User A information submitting instead of User Bs. Do you have caching enabled? If so please disable and purge.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon