Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Setting up for structured community

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #205983 by stevebarnes
Hey guys, glad to be using CB again. I have used it 3 or 4 times before.

This time I get Group Jive. I note that there are Categories and Groups. I need to map these to reflect an organization like scouts, called Boys' Brigade. I implicitly have national, which I have set up at joomla1.brigadeaustralia.org , and Queensland, which you can get to by clicking on "states" on the top menu and choosing Qld (Qld is the pilot state for this stuff).

I then have "Battalions" and "Companies". Companies may or may not belong in a brigade. Companies are like scout troops or cub packs; they have specific leaders and meet in a specific place/time.

I want to provide a drill-down, with the state using the facilities I have already set up. You can see I have set up Joomla categories for Qld at joomla1.brigadeaustralia.org/index.php/brigade-units . This needs to be reflected into GJ, with each brigade or company as a group, and the users associated with it not necessarily visible at the front end. Groups are by admin invitation only, so it's all internal, but it is a community and can grow.

When you have the Qld menu (maroon/red color) up, there is a message: "CB GroupJive There are no Groups available."

Can you please advise me:

1. how to set up the structure from national/states (which are more abstract containers as far as GJ is concerned) to brigade units (battalions/companies) which must use the CB/GJ features as eloquently as possible to make each like a functional sub-site with great add-on facilities.

2. How to find the CB doco (yeah, can't find it, sorry)

3. How best to set up the plugins for this job.

If this goes well, we may have package on our hands, and you guys will benefit when I do.

Best regards,
Steve Barnes
Australia

Site backed up by Akeeba yesterday :)

Steve Barnes
Creative Technologist

mob +61 (0)423 311 839
e-mail steve@stevebarnes.asia
web: www.stevebarnes.asia
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206019 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Setting up for structured community

1. how to set up the structure from national/states (which are more abstract containers as far as GJ is concerned)

Suggest using GJ categories.

to brigade units (battalions/companies) which must use the CB/GJ features as eloquently as possible to make each like a functional sub-site with great add-on facilities.

Suggest using GJ groups inside your categories.

2. How to find the CB doco (yeah, can't find it, sorry)

Advanced downloads section.

3. How best to set up the plugins for this job.

That's entirely up to you. Best approach is to install it on a clean test install and simply play around with it to get a handle on what it can and can not do. Your questions are just too broad. Sorry, I can't explain to you everything GJ can do and if it has a feature that benefits you; you need to try it and provide more detailed usage questions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #206083 by stevebarnes
Replied by stevebarnes on topic Re: Setting up for structured community
In answer, I plan to use Categories for abstract containers, and Groups for those which have community significance.

I am having trouble linking a group under a category. Category is "BBA Qld", Group is "13th Brisbane". Please assist me.

Steve Barnes
Creative Technologist

mob +61 (0)423 311 839

12 years 3 months ago #206085 by stevebarnes
Replied by stevebarnes on topic Re: Setting up for structured community
Got it working OK.

Steve Barnes
Creative Technologist

mob +61 (0)423 311 839

Moderators: beatnantkrileon