Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Text field is cutting off content

12 years 3 months ago #206378 by butchtones
Text field is cutting off content was created by butchtones
HI,
I have a text field sent to max characters of 2000 and it's cutting off content. I can't find any documentation that says there's a character limit on the fields. What's going on?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 3 months ago #206413 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Text field is cutting off content
Text field is varchar 255 in database. It can't have more than 255 characters. Text fields aren't meant for long text. If you need long text please use a Textarea field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 3 months ago #206418 by butchtones
Replied by butchtones on topic Re: Text field is cutting off content
Suggestion: Put that in the docs :)

At this point my only option is to redo all of the bios, right? Is there a way to change text field to text area? Maybe somewhere in the back end?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #206428 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Text field is cutting off content

At this point my only option is to redo all of the bios, right? Is there a way to change text field to text area? Maybe somewhere in the back end?

There's no UI to change a fieldtype once it's saved. To change a fields type you'll need to edit within _comprofiler_fields and change it to a textarea. Once done run CB fields tools check and it'll tell you it's of wrong column type so it can be changed from varchar to mediumtext.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #206446 by butchtones
Replied by butchtones on topic Re: Text field is cutting off content
Thanks - that's going to save me a bunch of time!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon