Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Connect update LinkedIn changes after regist

• securepro
  • securepro
12 years 2 months ago #207629 by securepro
We have CB Connect working for authentication and to initially fill CB profile fields during registration. When someone updates their Linkedin Profile, how do we get CB to resync with LinkedIn (automagically :huh: once a month)?

Is there a way to make a button so the user can "re-register" when they see something change?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #207676 by krileon

how do we get CB to resync with LinkedIn (automagically once a month)?

You can't, it's not designed to do that. You'd hit API limits within days or hours doing this if you have an active site as it'd have to check their LinkedIn profile on every login.

Is there a way to make a button so the user can "re-register" when they see something change?

Anything is possible, but you'll have to program it your self as it has no such feature. This could easily be abused to result in your hitting API limits. All the social sites limit how many times per hour, day, etc.. API can be called. If you allow users to click a button to re-sync you'll hit that limit from a single user abusing it for example.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• securepro
  • securepro
12 years 2 months ago #207871 by securepro
My thought was to built-in some throttles/limits. Maybe something like:
  1. an individual user could only request a manual update once per week; and/or
  2. the whole site would automatically update once a quarter (in chunks spread-out somewhat evenly)

I recognize that you don't work for LinkedIn, and this is something custom I would support myself. With that said, does my throttle/limits concept seem plausible or am I grossly underestimating the API usage?

Thanks.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #207903 by krileon

an individual user could only request a manual update once per week; and/or

You'd have to implement such a feature then as it doesn't have one.

the whole site would automatically update once a quarter (in chunks spread-out somewhat evenly)

Then you'd once a quarter guarantee to hit API limits. Do this enough and they'll lock your application, indefinitely.

does my throttle/limits concept seem plausible or am I grossly underestimating the API usage?

LinkedIn API limits are pretty generous, but that still is open for abuse depending on the usage. You can find their limits at the below link.

developer.linkedin.com/documents/throttle-limits

What you want is certainly doable, but not very practical. Especially if you end up with 50k active users for example.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon