Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Entire site "blank" when editing language file

• rolf3dea
  • rolf3dea
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207733 by rolf3dea
Hi everyone,

I am new to CB but needed it for a specific website. This website is in Dutch. I know there are a lot of topics about "changing the registration text -> Registration Complete!" to another language but this is a tad different and I can't find the answer anywhere. I have downloaded a Dutch plugin for CB (newest version on Joomla 2.5).. it works perfectly, but the guy forgot to translate the text that I mentioned. So.. I open Dutch.php and all that I change is that little sentence. When I overwrite the original using FTP, nothing works anymore, not even the home page?! Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks very much in Advance,

Rolf
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jojo12
  • jojo12
12 years 2 months ago #207741 by jojo12
Hi [I am only a user in german, using see footnote]
which joomla version, which cb version, etc.

first of all it seems for me strange, that you have a dutch.php and not in nl-nl a language.php.

when I had this problem you mention, I forgot for example a comma at the end.

Please study at first the exact rules of the language file. At the end is also something special.

When there's all correct, there shouldn't be a blank page!

• rolf3dea
  • rolf3dea
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #207744 by rolf3dea
Hi thanks for the reply.

It's Joomla 2.5.6 with CB 1.8.1 (just downloaded) And Groupjive 2.5.3 RC1.

The file is located here:

/public_html/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/dutch/dutch.php

The part of the text that I edit is:

//Registration form
DEFINE('_UE_REG_COMPLETE_NOPASS','<div class="componentheading">Registration Complete</div>'
.'<p>Your password has been sent to the e-mail address you entered.</p>'
.'<p>Please check your email (including your spambox). When you receive your password you will then be able to log in.</p>');
DEFINE('_UE_REG_COMPLETE','<div class="componentheading">Registration Complete!</div>'

etcetera.. there is more but it's all the same.

I have also tried editing the file in advance, repacking the plugin and reinstalling it.. but I get the same results. Almost looks like some restriction, don't get it.

I have included the dutch.php and the dutch ang.php which is the edited version so far. (under the header //Registration form) Obviously I rename the dutch ang.php to dutch.php before I replace the old one :p

Thanks!
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by rolf3dea.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #207752 by krileon
You probably have an unescaped character. Ensure you're using a PHP editor with error reporting so it'll warn you of these issues. There are several free IDEs such as Eclipse, Netbeans, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• rolf3dea
  • rolf3dea
12 years 2 months ago #207754 by rolf3dea
Well.. I could have thought of that myself :p I just purchased full adobe suite.. I'm just new to all the scripting stuff

It says line 201 contains a syntax error, yet I don't see any difference

DEFINE('_UE_REG_COMPLETE_CONF','<div class="componentheading">Registratie voltooid!</div>'
.'<p>Je wachtwoord is verstuurd naar het opgegeven e-mail adres.</p>'
.'<p>Controleer a.u.b. voor de zekerheid ook de spammbox!</p>');
.'<p>Om de mail nogmaals te ontvangen, probeer in te loggen met uw username en wachtwoord.</p>');
DEFINE('_UE_REG_COMPLETE_NOPASS_CONF','<div class="componentheading">Registratie voltooid!</div>'
.'<p>Je wachtwoord is verstuurd naar het opgegeven e-mail adres.</p>'
.'<p>Controleer a.u.b. voor de zekerheid ook de spammbox! Volg de instructies in de mail om in te kunnen loggen</p>');

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 2 months ago #207803 by krileon
You need to post the contents in a PHP code tag otherwise it's going to get escape and stripped. Normally it's just a single or double quote. Also the line it's erroring on isn't the line with the problem. It's usually a few lines before it or directly above it, this is especially the case when it's an escaping error.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rolf3dea

Moderators: beatnantkrileon