Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Needing a membership strategy

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
7 years 5 months ago #293852 by dbeezley
Needing a membership strategy was created by dbeezley
Following is a long question and a big ask. If it is too much, I'd be pleased for suggestions of where I can get the help I want.

I need to "re-boot" my Joomla/CB website to be more effective. My objective is not just getting lots of members creatively organizing, but to organize members into specifically defined groups with an intention to work together to carry out project tasks. Group Jive and/or CB Activities appear to be useful tools but seem a lot more ad hoc than I need. I'm not highly skilled in Joomla or in CB and probably never will have it all figured out. So when I'm asking for a strategy, I'm asking for a direction for what tools might meet my needs and what I need to learn to use those tools effectively. What I'm asking for might be more than I can expect from the Joomlapolis forum, but all I can do is to put it out there and see what I can get.

There are two general aspects to my membership needs: Prescribed Groups and Voluntary Participation. I will describe both:

PRESCRIBED GROUPS: This is a genealogical website so the organization is based on specifically defined family groups. Without getting into the weeds of genealogy, all descendants of a given ancestor are in the same family group. Presently, there are more than 80 such groups and potentially there may be hundreds. However, the objective is to find where these family groups are related and then connect them.

When a new member joins, we ask information sufficient to determine membership in an existing group OR, if there is no existing group, to create a new one. Groups are created by research, not only by the membership, so a group may have dozens of members or one member or no members. HOWEVER, the success of the project means that, with research and time, these groups will be connected.

There is also a grouping of groups. Connecting groups would mean that a specific common ancestor is discovered. However, by using DNA, there are genetically related families where we don't know (and may never know) the common ancestor. While there might be dozens or hundreds of groups, there are only a dozen or so genetic types, or, we might say, groups of groups. These groups of groups are identified with colors which can be useful for display/

The intention is not to restrict access but to make it clear to everyone where they "fit". People should be encouraged to seek ways that groups can be connected. This can't be simply because people WANT to be connected but research shows they ARE connected.

Presently, I have more than 100 member profiles and the groups they are in is established, but it is very tedious and manual by using fields and then searches based on these fields.

VOLUNTARY PARTICIPATION: Another aspect of membership can be described as a scope of interest. In other words how involved do they want to be? People with a higher level of interest may have more time or skills to offer to the project. The level of interest may change over time and it would be useful for people to be able to voluntarily change their status. For those with less interest, less is asked and less maintenance is required. Presently there are members who range from high interest (genealogy nerds) to no interest (they just happened upon the project at some point). So the question is, 1) how do I help present members identify their level of interest? 2) going forward, how do new members choose a registration path? and 3) how do people change over time? This isn't a matter of money where a subscription system would be in order. We have a donation system. This is about motivating contribution of time, information, and collaboration with others.

Public: There is a public face to the website, but I have no interest in anonymous participation. In other words, if you have questions or comments to post on articles or forums, you must identify yourself. This would be a guest membership. Some minimal information would be required, but guests would not be privy to more detailed information about other members. Guest members should see an incentive to become Registered members.

DNA Member: There is presently a class of membership that represents a real person but is only identified by an ID number from the DNA study. This is administratively created and used as a DNA marker for the various groups. This profile would be connected with the appropriate group as discussed above. If the person represented by this number wants to register, he would provide the personal information and become a registered member.

Registered Member: This is where an applicant would divulge enough family information to be assigned to a group. Registered members may be able to view the scope of all the groups and other members.

I haven't an exact name for this class of members, but this would be for workers, colleagues, volunteers who contribute time and information to the project, perform roles. Some people would have an interest or scope of interest that is 1) only their own group but able to see and query other groups, 2) a collection of related groups attempting to find connections for their groups 3) project-wide roles. To some extent, this may involve standard Joomla roles of Author, Editor, Publisher, etc. There may be but this isn't a matter of limiting access or permissions so much as finding people with common interests in the project and encouraging people to get to know each other and work together.

Presently, all except the DNA members are Registered members. Maybe many of them simply aren't interested and would rather drop out. Presently, participation and collaboration are non-existent because there isn't a system in place to encourage it. I want to ask everyone what they want and would be happy to archive or inactivate memberships. At the same time, I want to be able to offer incentive and direction for meaningful participation. I have the registration link hidden for now to purposely limit new registrations. I know that with very little effort I could get a huge influx of membership interest but I can't handle it without an organizational system and identifying people willing to help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 5 months ago #293882 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Needing a membership strategy
For the genealogy groups the best I can recommend is using CB GroupJive. Those with similar genealogy would be placed in the same GJ group. I suppose you could use Categories to define relationships between those Groups. It's not really setup for nor designed for genealogy though so you'd have to work within the limitations of GJs design. Aside from that you may want to look into a genealogy extension for Joomla.

For the participation I'd just use ACL. You'd have usergroups for your increased participation. Limit access to various functionality based off those usergroups or view access levels for those usergroups. You can allow users to select their type by using a select field then assign them a usergroup based off their selection using CB Auto Actions. As for allowing users to drop out of participating or being a part of the site you can use CB Privacy which has functionality to let users disable or delete their own accounts. Note that CBSubs doesn't have to exchange money. You can use strictly free subscription plans and use it as a means of additional access protection if you wanted.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
7 years 5 months ago #293897 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic Needing a membership strategy
OK, that sounds good. I had started making groups in GJ but wasn't sure where to go with it. One thing I noticed is that there appears to be no nesting of categories. But that may not be a problem. Each person (profile) is assigned to one Tree. They either fit in an existing Tree or one is created for them. A profile must be attached to a Tree and it is presumed they are "interested" in that Tree. Some Trees are members of a Clan and some are not. A Clan can only be defined by at least one DNA test. So if there is a Tree with no qualifying test, there is no Clan for that Tree.

For the sake of discussion, I'll remove the "genealogy" part. Let's say the Website represents a National Organization. Instead of "Tree", let's say "Chapter". Instead of "Clan" let's say "Division". Each participant is a member of some official local Chapter and when they go to a convention, get a name tag it not only identifies who they are, but what chapter they belong to. Some Chapters are members of a Division and some are "free-standing". However, there is no Division without at least one Chapter.

Each Chapter has an assigned meeting place (Web space) and it is important for everyone to display their commitment to (interest in) their Chapter as shown on their name tag. Additionally, a person (profile) may be interested in their Division and the other Chapters in that Division. Would all Chapters be contained in the Division meeting place? Now, a Chapter is (or might be) a member of a Division, but that isn't as important as what the individual Person is "Interested" in. So, let's say there is a meeting space for the Division. Some Chapter members may be part of the Division but not "interested" in Division work. Others might be interested in helping with the Division. Some Chapter members may be "interested" in other Chapters and might want to help. While the individual is ALWAYS identified with their own Chapter, they may want to form a working relationship with other chapters or divisions. The collaborative work might even lead to the two chapters merging.

So does it make sense to use GJ like that? That you are assigned membership in one chapter because that's where you live. But that you want to "join" other chapters in a working relationship?

It seems that for a website, it is necessary to have an organization to reflect its purpose and function. Clearly, this involves group identity, but it also means that its documents (articles, menus, forums) reflect and support that organization, in terms of individual identity and individual function. It should not only make it easy to participate but incentivise participation. That's the problem with genealogists... they have a hard time collaborating because it is hard to define their scope and common interests and how to organize and share information. I'm developing a system of organization in genealogy that is beyond anything I've seen elsewhere. I can clearly define the scope and methods of the organization and there's nothing magical or special about the genealogical content any more than a corporation making widgets running a National organization of Rotary clubs. If fact, what I have is a lot smaller and simpler, it's just that I get lost in using the Joomla and CB tools. And it really isn't necessary to get into the weeds of genealogy than it would be necessary to learn how to make widgets.

This is how it is when I work on my website. I have categorization of articles and forums that have been patched together for years. I need others to work with me but they don't because looking at the website, they can't figure out how. I want to send out fresh invitations to participate or step out, but I don't want to push that button until I have some basic structure like a consistent group system they can see.

I've looked at hiring a consultant but that can be really expensive if from the outset we get hung up on the fact that genealogy is the content. I've made inquiries but I've found that my responses had a hard time connecting in English let alone breaking down the task.

Does it make any difference to you understanding what I need to talk about membership in Chapters and Divisions, working together on tasks, forming identification and communication without even talking about genealogy? I mean there are some issues that are specific to genealogy like getting certain specific genealogy software to work with Joomla but that's not even part of the discussion here.

Anyhow, even if you are limited in what you can offer me, it would be good to know if I'm making any progress describing what I need.

Thanks, Doug

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 5 months ago #293901 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Needing a membership strategy
I mean it sounds like you just need group collaboration. That's basically the purpose of GJ. To bring like minded individuals together under a defined group. They can share photos, files, have forums specifically for the group, etc.. GJ provides that functionality out of the box. Users can be a part of as many groups as necessary.

The main limitation you'd run into is Nesting as you've noticed GJ does not have category or group nesting functionality (it won't be returning from previous releases either) so you'd have to work within that limitation. Categories are basically just a means of organization, but are not mandatory and can only be created by admins from backend (frontend category create is coming in a later release).

What groups a user is a part of are also displayed on their profile. Additionally groups do have some basic permissions. For example you've the Group Owner and that's the person who created the group. They've absolute control over it. Group Administrators can manage all aspects of the group except they've no permissions to delete it. Group Moderators can manage all aspects of the content in a group. Those permissions do not extend beyond that specific group that they have those permissions in. So I suppose your contributors could be group moderators for example.

So in your case I guess you'd have Categories as Chapters and Groups as Divisions.

I don't honestly think you're going to find something that fits your very specific usage. You'll have to compromise within the limitations of what's available or basically develop it your self. I recommend trying GJ out on our demo site below at the very least and applying your usecase to it to see if it can handle it somewhat how you're wanting. Beyond that we have no other plugins that'd really fit what you're trying to do.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dbeezley
  • dbeezley
7 years 5 months ago #293902 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic Needing a membership strategy
Thank you. I'll move forward and see how it goes.
d

Moderators: beatnantkrileon