Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Restrictions on values for Drop-Down (Single Select) Field

• bradwmson
  • bradwmson
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #295240 by bradwmson
There appears to be a limit on the number of values that can be assigned to a Drop-Down Single Select field, or I've run into a bug.

Using CB 2.1.2 & Joomla 3.7.2 I have 299 values on a drop-down single select, the field is working correctly on the front end, and has been for several years dating back to CB 1.8.

I now need to modify the field, but I cannot. Any change made to any variable in the field - description, values or any other parameter, including deleting a value row, results in a strange 'crash' where clicking the Save or Save & Close button (even with no changes made) causes the Field page to close without any error message, and the Joomla Control Panel loads as if you had just logged in.

So, the questions are:

1) Am I up against a limit that kicks me out with the unexpected behavior, or

2) are there restricted field values or characters that I do not know about that could be causing this - it worked fine when it was created, and no changes have been made to field parameters since CB 1.9. I am using dashes, underscores, and parentheses in values and labels both.

3) Is it possible to recover the field - currently any changes cause the unexpected behavior.

Access is available - it is live on an accessible server.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Brad

Joomla 3.7.2, CB 2.1.2, PHP 7.0
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by bradwmson. Reason: Added environment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 3 months ago #295243 by krileon
You are probably hitting PHP input limit restrictions (this is not a restriction put in place by CB, but your server), because that's a massive amount of fields. Each field row is 4 inputs. So you have 1196 inputs just for those values alone. CB 1.x only had 1 input per row offering significantly less functionality. For massive lists like that I highly encourage making a custom database table for them and simply using CB Query Field and its Query Select to build its options from your custom table.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradwmson

• bradwmson
  • bradwmson
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #295244 by bradwmson
Excellent advice - I wasn't even thinking down the PHP input path, and I hadn't realized the inputs had jumped from one to four. Just checked PHP settings - you nailed it - max input variables - 1000. So it was the upgrade to 2.XXX that broke it, when the number of variables increased by 4X.

Looks like a custom table would make more sense anyway, since the number of values is now steadily increasing.

Thanks for your rapid response.

Brad
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by bradwmson. Reason: Added PHP settings
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon