Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Profile URL and Username Aliases

• ssvt
  • ssvt
7 years 3 months ago #295389 by ssvt
Profile URL and Username Aliases was created by ssvt
Hello,

By default it looks like a user's profile is at www.mysite.com/profiles/ . Is there a way within CB to configure it so that the URL is www.myfiles.com/ ? (I know it can be done with Joomla - just curious if the option exists in CB.

Also, is it possible, once a user has registered, for that user to post with an alias or anonymously? (We've got some users who need to protect themselves as much as possible.) Would CB Content Bot be able to do this on the fly or is there some other possibility?

Thanks miuch!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #295392 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Profile URL and Username Aliases
Nope, that's not possible without a 404 workaround. The reason for this is Joomla has no idea where you're trying to go. The first part of the URL (/profiles) is your Joomla menu alias. The alias is traced back to its associated menu item (since alias has to be unique per menu item) which tells Joomla the component and view for that component. Without this information you're just going to 404 pages if the username isn't an existing menu alias as again Joomla has no idea where you're going.

The only way to have what you're wanting is to setup a custom 404 page that handles checking if the supplied value is in fact a user alias then redirect them. Another alternative is to try and setup a custom rewrite rule to rewrite such URLs to profile URLs, but this will likely conflict with menu items.

Joomlas redirect component can however act on 404s. CB Redirect Bot is designed to extend Joomlas redirect component with REGEXP. So you could try using CB Redirect Bot to force those users to profiles (they're still not going to see domain/username as they'll be redirected to domain/profiles/username).

CB Content Bot just adds substitutions to Joomla content prepare usages. It can not help you regrading this usecase.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by krileon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ssvt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon