Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] using restricted link, some users see CB login and some users are sent to front

• ThePiston
  • ThePiston
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #295827 by ThePiston
I have a registered-only link I'm sending to users in an email. When some of them click on it, they get the CB login prompt and then are correctly taken to the restricted page. Other users however are instead taken to the front page and upon logging in, they see "you are not authorized to view this page".

It seems that if a user has visited the site lately, even if not logged in, they get the CB login prompt, but someone who has not been on the page lately, (I'm assuming cookie is expired) they are taken to the front page.

Is this a CB issue? I've seen it a lot and never understood it until now.

Any help is appreciated on how to fix this! Thanks

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 3 months ago #295836 by krileon
If they were on the site and their session expired then they came back and tried to navigate then their next page load will be as logged out. This is all normal behavior and is not CB specific, but is how Joomla and sessions in general work.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ThePiston
  • ThePiston
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #295843 by ThePiston
I seem to have fixed my problem by creating a Joomla login page menu item. I've always avoided that to prevent conflicts with CB, but doing that no longer redirects people with no cookie to the front page when they click a restricted link. I read online that it will cause a loop in Joomla so you go to front page if you don't do that. see it here: github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/15730

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by ThePiston.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon