Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Is there a log for user deletions?

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #295886 by quantumgravity
[SOLVED] Is there a log for user deletions? was created by quantumgravity
Hi,

A user was mysteriously deleted, and I'm the only one with administrative access. I did allow a third-party vendor access with a temporary superuser ID around the time the deletion occurred.

Is there any kind of log that shows when a user was deleted and who did the deed? Just hoping, not expecting...

On a related note, if I re-enter the user rather than replacing the entire database with a backup, could I change his new user ID directly in the database back to what it was so it will link to his prior article and forum posts?

Thanks!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 2 months ago #295904 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Is there a log for user deletions?

I did allow a third-party vendor access with a temporary superuser ID around the time the deletion occurred.

Sounds like they're the ones who did it. Likely be complete accident. This assumes you don't have CB Privacy installed and allow users to delete themselves.

Is there any kind of log that shows when a user was deleted and who did the deed? Just hoping, not expecting...

Not for normal admin deletions at least not unless you set something like that up. If you've CB Privacy installed and allow them to delete themselves then yes a log is within CB Privacy > Closed.

On a related note, if I re-enter the user rather than replacing the entire database with a backup, could I change his new user ID directly in the database back to what it was so it will link to his prior article and forum posts?

Yes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quantumgravity

7 years 2 months ago #295951 by quantumgravity
Replied by quantumgravity on topic Is there a log for user deletions?
Nothing's ever easy.

I went into the database to replace this user's newly-added user ID with his old one. Much to my surprise, his old record is still in the database, and nothing obvious is wrong with any field within it. Yet when I look at CB-->User Management, his old record is not listed at all. Further, no other CB plugins or Joomla components recognize his existence.

Do you have any idea what could make the website suddenly ignore an existing, valid CB user record?

Thanks!

7 years 2 months ago #295968 by quantumgravity
Replied by quantumgravity on topic Is there a log for user deletions?
OK, I know in broad strokes what happened:
  1. The third party vendor, for reasons I can't guess, tried to change this user into an administrative account.
  2. Our security software is set to delete any new administrator accounts, since I'm supposed to be all there is (except for temporarily allowing access to someone like this third-party vendor).
  3. The security software deleted the user's Joomla record but not their CB record.
  4. When I went into the database to change this user's newly-added record in the Joomla users table and user-usergroup-map table back to his original ID, everything synced up again.
  5. That left an orphan (newly-added) record for this user in the comprofiler table that I deleted manually.

Of course, the only reason to post this here is in the unlikely event someone else runs into it down the line. And I still have no idea what this third-party vendor was trying to do. But all is back, I think, to where it should be.

I should have just dug ditches for a living.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon