Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Rotated Images

7 years 1 month ago #297103 by andyroberts
Rotated Images was created by andyroberts
I know there's been some discussion in the past about images being rotated by 90 degrees, but I thought that I would add my observations.

We have an image field to hold a passport-style photo, ie in portrait orientation. Users who upload portrait photos taken with an iPhone (may be other phone types, don't know), result in an uploaded photo that has been rotated. To the user, on both the phone and importantly in Windows prior to upload, the photo was correctly orientated. Examining the EXIF embedded in the image, you can see that these photos have the orientation flag set to 'Top Right'. It appears that Windows (and any image viewing / editing software that I've tried) reads this flag and auto-orientates the image, but CB does not. To compound the issue, we have been cropping the uploads to our desired size - and of course for these photos, the crop is based on the wrong dimensions resulting in chopped heads.

The photo can be 'fixed' by editing the image prior to upload, and resaving it. This adjusts the orientation flag, and the photo uploads ok - but the user isn't going to do that, and doesn't suspect that there is a problem in the first place.

I suspect that this is how it is for now, but perhaps a future feature request?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #297128 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Rotated Images
We already parse EXIF orientation. Client side resizing however does not and is an issue to be fixed in a later release. See the below bug ticket.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6373

Disable client side resizing within your image field if you need EXIF orientation for the time being. Same behavior applies to CB Gallery. It is not easy to parse EXIF from JS. It's all in bytes and needs a heavy library to parse. So it'll may never work with client side resizing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon