Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[#6962] How to send notification to all group members about soemone posting in a group

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #300772 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
I have an activity stream and that works fine. How do I make it so that everyone inside the group gets a notification when someone posts inside the group?
I have only seen the "Attempt to send notification for emails" but the stream does not send emails so how can I do it?
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [#6962] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #300794 by krileon
You'd need to act on activity_onAfterCreateStreamActivity trigger and set User to Custom then write custom PHP to grab the groups users if the asset is a groupjive asset (which will include the group id). There's no simple way to do what you're wanting (since a User option does not exist for "Group Users"), but it's doable. If you mean for GJ Wall posts then you should just be able to enable "CB GroupJive Wall - Create Notification" system action.

This does give me a great idea to allow the User object to be extendable though. Have added a feature ticket for this.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6962

Basically it'd allow GJ to add a new User option of Group Users, which would handle the GJ asset detection, parsing out the active group users, and sending them through the auto action, but for now you'd have to code that usage your self using the Custom user option.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 9 months ago #300802 by timstohr
Having such a variable is exactly what we would need...

Btw lets say that we have two hundred people inside the group. If someone posts, then we have to create 200 notifications? Or can we set a notification (ie an entry into the table) to be sent to several users?

I have not seen yet a possibility to do so...

Attachments:

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #300810 by krileon

Btw lets say that we have two hundred people inside the group. If someone posts, then we have to create 200 notifications?

Correct.

Or can we set a notification (ie an entry into the table) to be sent to several users?

At this time, no. Already have a feature ticket to see if I can improve notification handling to not require replication, but need to first add the ability to "delete" (hide) notifications the user doesn't own. Ticket can be found below.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6943

I really don't like that it has to be replicated in situations like what you're trying to do since that's a lot of rows. It's efficient enough to handle it, but it shouldn't be necessary. It however was best I can do before end of year.

Based off my initial investigations the best approach is to likely separate global from asset. The issue with global is it's not specific. Meaning you can't have a global activity or notification entry with a GJ asset to be parsed by GJ. So what needs to happen is a separate efficient column needs to be added to the database for global (1 for global 0 for not global) then asset is free to be whatever it needs to be (e.g. groupjive.group.42) and will be parsed respectfully, but displayed to everyone.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon