Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Auto action + activity

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 9 months ago #300791 by timstohr
Auto action + activity was created by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
How is it possible to send notifications to several users at the same time?

Here is the use case I was thinking... Person A has posted somewhere. Person B then comments underneath it (person A gets a notification). Person A then answers to Person B (Person B should get a notification here that person A has answered). Person C decides to jump in and commennts underneath Person A's comment (Person A and Person B should get a notification as someone has commented underneath their posts).
Also if person D has liked person As post, Person D should get a notification every time that someone has commented underneath the post (as LIKE is similar to FOLLOW).

Would be great to have something like this...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #300805 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto action + activity
Yes, with the new Custom option for the User parameter you can implement your own User parsing behavior. Your custom code should return a single user id, single user object, array of user ids, or array of user objects. In your case you'd need to write the code to check all the way up the reply chain and output an array of user ids to execute the action on, which should just be a CB Activity action.

Sending a notification when someone directly replies to your comment or comments on your activity however is significantly easier. There's a system action for activity comment notifications already using "CB Activity - Comment Notification". There isn't one for comment replies yet and have added a feature ticket to implement one.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6963

It is highly unlikely specifically what you're wanting would be implemented. That'd be an extremely heavy operation. For example what if a comment has 500 replies? That's 500+ notifications on every new reply.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 9 months ago #300808 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic Auto action + activity
The 500+ users getting notified would not be so bad if we would be able to set a notification being sent to several users... so basically having one line inside the db (ie one notification) with it applying to several users. You could also set it so that each user within the USER field gets separated by a ;...

That would allow a huge number (but smaller than global) to receive one notification without the db having to work overtime...

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #300815 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto action + activity
There may not to be a possibility for that without a relationship table, which CB Activity doesn't use and would be a 100% rewrite to storage behavior. Maybe something like that will be added later down the road, but for now it won't be implemented anytime soon. It maybe doable using improved global functionality discussed below or probably improvements to asset handling, but I don't know yet.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/238241-6962-how-to-send-notification-to-all-group-members-about-soemone-posting-in-a-group#300802

I think with improvements to the asset usage of notifications and a combination of the following usage that basically mimics a relationship table so it maybe possible to do this sooner rather than later, but I need to change asset behavior for the notifications API since right now it just works as a filter to only output notifications from the specific assets using an AND statement instead of OR. If changed to OR you'd be able to have users notifications display notifications to them OR to the supplied assets.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon