Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Hide article after reading, or: only show unread articles

• Burnardo
  • Burnardo
6 years 7 months ago #302585 by Burnardo
Hi,

Could anyone suggest a path to proceed with this problem that I try to solve....

A logged-in user is shown a group of articles from a certain category. Each Article will be hidden for this user, after reading.

In order to simplify the definition of 'reading', I would like to add a checkbox per article on frontside when showing these articles.
The checkbox has a label: 'Indicate when article has been read'
The user can then 'mark' the checkbox on the frontside and as a result the respective article will not show again on this spot.

So there is only the need for 1 data field per article, related to this user: 'article read'
The user changes the condition of this data filed by marking the checkbox and as a result does not get to see the article thereafter (much like most forums are using such a feature as well...)

Hopefully receiving suggestions on how to proceed,
Thanks in advance,
Burnardo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 7 months ago #302603 by krileon
Not sure what this has to do with CB to be honest. CB has no control over articles beyond basic protections from CBSubs based off subscription. You'll need some sort of Joomla extension that adds specifically that functionality. I'm not aware of any, but suggest checking the Joomla extension directory.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Burnardo
  • Burnardo
6 years 7 months ago #302627 by Burnardo
Thank you Krileon for your suggestion,

Of course I have been looking around. CB is famous for its use of fields and also showing the field and values on frontside as well... hence my thoughts, ... would there be an added field that could hold this value. And even better, would a user be able to interactively change this value.
My thoughts were pulled towards 'CB Connect Bot' and / or 'CB Auto Actions' and / or 'CB Conditionals'...

Also the new Joomla features since 3.7 with 'Fields' and 'Field Groups' have my interest with this simple function in my mind.
My search will continue.
Burnardo

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 7 months ago #302630 by krileon
Fields won't really help here. You need to track who has viewed what article on an individual level. Joomla doesn't do this with its hits tracking so you need something that will. I guess a custom database table and CB Auto Actions with its Query action could force that behavior, but you'll have to entirely code that your self. Next you'd need a way to remove the article from view if they've already seen it and I believe the only way to do that is a custom Joomla content plugin. CB Conditional can't help here. It's for conditioning profile fields/tabs and has nothing to do with Joomla articles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Burnardo
  • Burnardo
6 years 7 months ago #302650 by Burnardo
Thanks Kyle,

In any case, you are putting me on a better track with your help.
Kind regards,
Burnardo

Moderators: beatnantkrileon