Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] text fields change to ?? when opened in CB -> user management -> edit

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303577 by richbrundage
Multiple language site, Japanese and English, English default language. Database collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci Users have created accounts with Japanese characters for names and other text fields that are successfully stored and displayed in user management. When account opened for editing in administrator side text fields that have characters are changed to ? for each character. If characters are entered on the admin edit and saved they will not be changed to ? when reopened for editing on the admin side.

Richard Brundage
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 6 months ago #303581 by krileon
Don't see how it'd matter what location you're at since backend edit and frontend edit generates and outputs the fields using the exact same API from the same database table. Seams to work fine on our demo site below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

Are you using a custom backend template? If so maybe the utf8 charset metadata is missing in the head element. If you are using a custom backend template try switching back to default Joomla.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 6 months ago #303588 by richbrundage
I am using the Isis template.

Looking at page source for the edit user page shows <meta charset="utf-8" /> in the head.

I created a user on the demo.cbdemosites.com/ site with first name 横井 last name 秀明 and it opened correctly for editing on the admin side, so you are correct that it works fine on the demo site.

I have cleared browser and site caches and it still happens, using either Chrome or Safari on Mac OS.

I have run the database checks in tools and did some repairs but editing a user still results in loss of the Japanese characters.

It seems to be a problem with retrieving the data from the database on edit, as it is displayed correctly in the overview of users, and Japanese characters can be stored in the database on user edit, I guess this is the API you refer to.

It also seems to be a community builder problem as I am able to load the Japanese characters in the Joomla Users edit page for users who have existing Japanese names.

Any suggestions on what to investigate to resolve this will be most appreciated.

Richard Brundage

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 6 months ago #303616 by krileon
Is it only the name fields causing this issue or is it any field? Are you sure the collation for your tables and columns are set correctly? In phpmyadmin navigate to _comprofiler table and ensure firstname, middlename, and lastname columns have the correct collation. Joomla uses its own name column in _users in Joomla user edit and CB only uses that if using single name input.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 6 months ago #303627 by richbrundage
Always best to go to the data - I inspected one of the records giving me trouble and found that the data was stored as ?? I recently updated the collations for the database and the users with ?? registered before that.

My confusion arose from the CB User Management page listing users, which evidently gets the first column "Name" from the Joomla users table, not from the comprofiler table fields firstname, middlename, lastname, which is how I have the CB name configured. The Joomla users table was configured with the utf8mb4_unicode_ci so it has the correct data, which is displayed on both Joomla user edit and the CB user list, but not on the CB user edit.

Fortunately there are not too many users who registered before I got the collation of comprofiler correct.

Thanks for your help in solving this.

Richard Brundage
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon