Skip to Content Skip to Menu

What trigger gets triggered if you make an @Mention? Is there an auto action?

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 4 months ago #304938 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
One of the things I really miss is that @mentions make a notification. Any chance of implementing those as a system action? Or which trigger do I have to use?
Which variables do I have to use?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 4 months ago #304948 by krileon
There is no specific trigger for a mention. You'd just parse for them on the normal storage triggers (e.g. activity_onAfterCreateStreamActivity). There isn't really a need to notify someone being mentioned as it'd be too heavy of a check to do. Facebook also doesn't notify on mention and only notifies on an actual tag. This would be more like a feature of something like Twitter, which CB Activity is not modeled after. Tags however do have a specific trigger and a system action to be notified of a tag already exists.

I think I should clear the air a bit on something. For CB Activity I have scrapped A LOT of features I've wanted to implement for the sake of performance. It's just the nature of streams. Performance has to come first. Scanning a post for all mentions then sending a notification to each is a slippery slope. Tags are at least limited to notifying only those that the user is connected to as you can't tag someone you don't know. If mentions sent a notification it would need strict enforcement otherwise you could easily just spam hundreds of people.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 4 months ago #304956 by timstohr
Hi,
I think I have not understood what mentions are then. On Facebook if you use @XYZ, it makes a tag. You can only tag those you are connected with...

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 4 months ago #304958 by krileon
The mentions are separate from tags. The mentions simply link to a users profile on the site. They do not tag the user in the post.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
6 years 4 months ago #305084 by timstohr
Hi Sorry for only replying now. In that case, from an UX point of view, it would be much easier if @XYZ tagged the people. That way they get a notification that they have been tagged...

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 4 months ago #305087 by krileon
There are no plans for that. There is tagging button directly in the activity and comment create panes if tagging is enabled. If they want to tag someone they can directly do so there. I considered having it automatically tag if a connection was mentioned, but then you can't link to or reference another person without forcing the tag so that idea was scrapped as it also meant additional parsing of posts on store. Mentions will eventually be improved with additional functionality (e.g. have their own triggers, etc..), but not anytime soon.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon