Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Users online sessions

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 3 months ago #305960 by Vorak
Users online sessions was created by Vorak
Hello,

I am experiencing a curious thing on my Joomla/CB website.

Ever since a few months ago, I started to notice that the list of online users (most easily noticeable through the CB who is online module) kept getting longer. At some point, it seemed as if hundreds of users were all logged in. However, the majority of them probably weren't, they had logged in at some point but CB and the module kept showing them as logged in. When actually logging in as a user, however, I am automatically logged out again after a certain amount of time of inactivity.

The "session lifetime" setting in Joomla itself was set to 15 minutes. So it doesn't make sense that uses who logged in e.g. a week ago are still being shown as online hours, days and weeks of inactivity later.

In the past few days, I noticed that the Joomla website was starting to load much slower - and the issue kept getting worse, to the point that heavier pages on the site gave a 503 timeout error half the time.

What I did just now was change the "sessions lifetime" setting of Joomla to 1 minute. That effectively seems to have automatically logged everyone out, and immediately the website was loading fast again as it normally should. I am, however, staying logged in even when there's more than one minute of inactivity (which is fine for me).

In the meantime, the stats shown by the CB who is online module say that - in a matter of an hour - there are already over 1000 guests online again (aside from the logged in users). This is very weird, because I'm pretty sure our website doesn't attract that many visitors in such a short time.

Any idea what could cause this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 3 months ago #305979 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Users online sessions
CB just counts the sessions directly in _sessions table for online status. It doesn't do anything more than report the results of that count query. It's possible your module is cached by Joomla or 3rd party caching extension. If no caching is being used then I've no idea as if the sessions exist they'll be counted. You may want to check the _sessions database table to see how many sessions exist.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 2 months ago #306617 by Vorak
Replied by Vorak on topic Users online sessions
I wanted to let you know (and anyone else who might stumble onto this topic because they are having the same problem) that I found a solution to the problem. I installed the Easy Session Killer plugin:

joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.de/downloads/esk-easy-session-killer

It allows you to choose when to clean the sessions (daily, every two days, weekly, monthly, ...). I have it running for awhile now, and it's working perfectly for me. Idle users are no longer being listed as online after 24 hours (until, of course, they log in again), with as result that the database doesn't get clogged and doesn't slow down the website anymore.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon