Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Forgot password function not working

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #307252 by Vorak
Hello,

Recently I noticed that the "forgot password" function of CB is not working properly. When requesting a new password, an email is sent out with a new password as usual, but the new given password simply doesn't work.

I have started receiving questions about this from some of my website's users for a few days now. Shortly before, I had updated Joomla to the latest version (3.8.12) as well as the latest version of CB - including the latest versions of the CB plugins.

I have not changed any settings, nor have I recently added any other extensions or plugins on Joomla anywhere. So I assume that the issue began after the updates.

Can you please help?
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 1 month ago #307259 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Forgot password function not working
Retested forgot login functionality and seams to work perfectly fine in my tests. Directly copy and pasted the new password emailed to me and worked fine. Do you've any 3rd party User plugins installed within Extensions > Plugins? It's possible they're acting on Joomla user store behavior and possibly breaking the new passwords ability to store.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 1 month ago #307281 by Vorak
Replied by Vorak on topic Forgot password function not working
Thanks for your reply. I have not yet been able to figure out which plugin may be causing a conflict, as I'm currently experiencing another problem with my Joomla site: ever since I updated Joomla to the latest version, as well as updated some extensions (including CB and its associated plugins), my Joomla site is frequently timing out, giving a 503 error.

The error appears most frequent when using the forgot password function, or when trying to manually change a user's password in the backend. Other actions, such as simply logging in on the frontend, are sometimes also causing the timeout but less frequently.

I have already tried the CB tools. Their results are fine, except for "check user database", which gives this:

Warning: 3 entries in Community Builder comprofiler table without corresponding user table rows.
Following comprofiler id: 7317, 7318, 7491 are missing in user table
This one can be fixed using menu Components / Community Builder / tools and then click "Synchronize users".

When I try to synchronize users, I get a blank page with only this text on it:

Removing 3 entries from Community Builder missing in users Table.

This keeps reoccurring every time I run those tools. Neither of these profiles with those numbers still exist as they have been removed before. They don't show up in the CB user list nor in the Joomla user list. No idea if any of this is in any way related at all.

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 1 month ago #307282 by Vorak
Update on the "check user database". In the SQL table of jos_comprofiler I found the related user ID's whereas in jos_users they were removed. I removed user with id 7491 from jos_comprofiler (it was a test account anyway) and afterwards the tools were working normally again, able to remove what needed and now showing all green results.

I believe this may have to do with the JA GDPR component from Joomlart, which has the option to remove accounts as well but apparently doesn't do it thoroughly enough.

I don't think this has anything to do with the timeout issues though, nor with the password reset problem.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 1 month ago #307292 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Forgot password function not working

Update on the "check user database". In the SQL table of jos_comprofiler I found the related user ID's whereas in jos_users they were removed. I removed user with id 7491 from jos_comprofiler (it was a test account anyway) and afterwards the tools were working normally again, able to remove what needed and now showing all green results.

I believe this may have to do with the JA GDPR component from Joomlart, which has the option to remove accounts as well but apparently doesn't do it thoroughly enough.

Probably means it isn't deleting CB users, which means their CB profile data still remains.

Thanks for your reply. I have not yet been able to figure out which plugin may be causing a conflict, as I'm currently experiencing another problem with my Joomla site: ever since I updated Joomla to the latest version, as well as updated some extensions (including CB and its associated plugins), my Joomla site is frequently timing out, giving a 503 error.

So it seams to be happening anytime there's a Joomla user object interaction. Could be due to a 3rd party User plugin within Extensions > Plugins acting on Joomla triggers timing out. Beyond that I've no idea. You'll need a means of reliably triggering the issue then enable debug mode and maximum error reporting to see if any errors are being thrown. Could also be a server performance issue and you should check with your host to see if your server needs more resources.

I don't know what to suggest regarding your forgot login passwords not working. That typically means something is acting on Joomla events and messing with the user store preventing the new password from storing correctly.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Vorak
  • Vorak
6 years 1 month ago #307303 by Vorak
In regards to JA GDPR: it contains a plugin for CB so one would expect that it also deletes CB data. I will have to ask the developers of the JA GDPR component about that. It's not the only thing that isn't working 100% yet.

In regards to the timeout errors and forgot-password problem:
Apparently, both problems were directly related to each other and both caused by the same issue. I am using Joomdle, a bridge between Joomla and Moodle (and therefore an authentication method). When I updated Joomla and Community Builder, there was apparently a conflict with Joomdle. The bridge itself still worked, but it was causing the issues on Joomla as described above.

Apparently, all that was needed was an update of Joomdle as well (the version number is still the same but a more recent build, so it wasn't all that clear at first there was an update available for it at all). Now, everything works as it should: the bridge, logging in, saving a user account in CB backend, and the forgot-password. It's good to know that such a timeout can actually be caused by a small thing like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon