Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error

6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #307773 by RebeccaWool
Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error was created by RebeccaWool
RE: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/235097-solved-0-error-decoding-json-data-syntax-error?start=12

Hello,

I have an error code:

0 Error decoding JSON data: Control character error, possibly incorrectly encoded
  • Fresh Joomla install one week ago.
  • Community Builder version: 2.2.1
  • No other packages installed yet.

I had a profile field "Role" visible on profile & registration but hidden from registered users on edit.
Only moderators could see the field "role" on edit.

The field "role" then has a Auto Action applied to it where by it assigns the user to a user group depending on the field's value.

Upon testing, it all worked fine for three attempts then the above error occurs with the same issues as previous posters, I can't access the user's account front or backend, can't delete it either.

I'm not a DB wiz and so have zero idea on how to sort this out, but having read this topic and numerous others, how do I get around this issue please?

Please note: I am blind with no useful sight and therefore rely purely on a screen reader to communicate what is happening on the screen. So if you post screen shots, pictures, etc it means nothing to me (Ultra Vox?)

Many thanks in advance for your assistance with this syndrome.

[MOD EDIT]: I've moved your post to a new topic as the topic replied to is very old and no longer relevant (issue in that topic is fixed already).

Life is a constant learning curve and I've just started out!
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #307792 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error

Community Builder version: 2.2.1

Install the latest build release. You've the latest stable release, which is multiple releases behind. Stable and Build releases both go through the same testing processes. Latest build release is 2.2.1+build.2018.10.01.17.35.11.88680736f. That should at least prevent future issues with user params becoming corrupt as this happens when the params field isn't present on the registration or profile edit page during save, but that has since been fixed. You may need to run the below query directly on your database to fix corrupted params column though.

Code:
UPDATE `jos_users` SET `params` = '{}'

Be sure to replace jos_ with whatever your database prefix is.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by krileon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon