Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[#7445] Notifications on comments for all users

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #310259 by ThomasKuels
Hello,

I am using
CB Activity - Comment Notification
CB Activity - Comment
without any changes.

It seems, that the owner of the activity is the only one, who gets notifications about comments.

I would prefer, that all users, that have written a comment in the activity, would get notifications about new comments of other users.

activity (USER1)
comment USER2 (User1 gets notification)
comment USER1=owner (USER2 gets notification)
comment USER3 (USER1 and USER2 get notification)
comment USER1=owner (USER2 and USER3 get notifications)
comment USER4 (USER1, USER2, USER3 get notifications)

ALL USERS invoked in the activity should be informed about new comments!
What are the settings that I have to change?
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [#7445] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 8 months ago #310261 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Notifications on comments for all users

It seems, that the owner of the activity is the only one, who gets notifications about comments.

Correct.

I would prefer, that all users, that have written a comment in the activity, would get notifications about new comments of other users.

There's no option for that at this time.

It would require custom User behavior in an auto action to accomplish that as it'd need to loop through every single comment on a stream, which is doable but if say the comment stream has 1,000 comments that's potentially 1,000 notifications being sent out at once. Have to keep in mind I design nearly all our features to be used on budget shared hosting as the reality is that's what most people are using and generating 1,000 notifications at once won't go over well on such servers and no one wants a comment to take a minute because it's busy spamming people with notifications.

If you enable replies for comments you can use "CB Activity - Comment Reply Notification" to notification the person you're replying to, which might be enough for your needs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 8 months ago #310263 by ThomasKuels
Replied by ThomasKuels on topic Notifications on comments for all users
Of course I am using the reply function.

But the problem ist, you cannot control the behaviour of the user.
I see it in facebook every day. some reply and some just write another comment.

so the user is not informed about on comments after his own comment.
so how can he react?
no user will look in every post he commented, to find out that there are new comments behind his own one. perhaps relating to it.

5 years 8 months ago #310265 by ThomasKuels
Replied by ThomasKuels on topic Notifications on comments for all users
I don't really understand the argument of looping and small servers ...

If i use [action_user] in CB Activity - Comment Notification with Global=>Users set to connections, I am able to inform all connections about new comments.
so it would be possible to have 1000 connections beeing informed ... so whats the difference in traffic and ressources?

normally i guess, that 10, 20 or perhaps 50 users of a community write comments in an activity. so it's not the whole community beeing informed, but just the people writing in that activity. less than connections ...

I need a solution for my problem to get online. noone of my community-members want to work like this on a professional platform.
So what about the hourly support? Would this work?

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 8 months ago #310274 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Notifications on comments for all users

I see it in facebook every day. some reply and some just write another comment.

Don't expect Facebook. They've a proprietary architecture for their streams, hundreds of developers, and billions of dollars. I can't give you Facebook.

so the user is not informed about on comments after his own comment.

He can be informed about direct replies. He will not be informed about indirect replies, because a comment on an activity entry that isn't a direct reply isn't a comment to you it's a comment to the activity.

so how can he react?

Use replies and the comment reply notification otherwise he can't.

no user will look in every post he commented, to find out that there are new comments behind his own one. perhaps relating to it.

That's why the reply functionality exists because it's a direct comment to another comment.

I don't really understand the argument of looping and small servers ...

Looping through 1000 users to log notifications for a 1000 users every time a comment is made in that stream with 1000 participates would be awful performance for 99% of our customers servers. So I did not implement a system action, which it can do this, for that.

If i use [action_user] in CB Activity - Comment Notification with Global=>Users set to connections, I am able to inform all connections about new comments.
so it would be possible to have 1000 connections beeing informed ... so whats the difference in traffic and ressources?

There is no system action for notifying every connection about a new comment specifically because it's a heavy operation. You're of course free to do so, but that is a significant amount of data your community will generate.

So what about the hourly support? Would this work?

No, we do not do contracted development.

All of this changes once the relationship table planned for notifications is implemented as then it becomes a extremely tiny 3 column pointer for notifications significantly improving read and write access for notifications. That doesn't exist right now, which is why what you're wanting doesn't exist right now. I'm not saying it isn't possible because it is with custom User parsing in an auto action, but it will have bad performance creating a bunch of notifications everytime someone comments. At any rate added a feature ticket to add a system action to do this in a future release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7445

You can also review using "CB Activity - Comment Bump" which will bump an activity entry to the top of the stream when it's commented on which maybe helpful keeping your users informed. Note this likely won't work for direct replies to comments.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon