Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User Import and Export Clarification Requested

5 years 6 months ago #311590 by researchware
Delighted to see the new user import and export feature in 2.4.1. We're running CB 2.4.1, Joomla 3.9.4. Questions about Import/Export not covered in the articles at www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/278-community-builder/operations-guide/18836-exporting-users and not answer by my searches on your site (maybe I used the wrong keywords).
1) When using an exported CSV file as the template for imports, is it necessary to have ALL the field that appeared in the export? i.e, do we have to figure out values for the "gids" field or can we remove that column to use defaults? Or if all column names must be present, can they be empty and will that trigger population with a default value?
2) If all fields must be used, what do you recommend for values for fields like lastvisitDate or lastResetTime? Do date time fields need to be explicit set to 0000-00-00 00:00:00 or can they be empty to default to that?
3) If we only need to include required and optional NAMED field (vs all fields) in an Import, do the field need to be in the same order as in the Export file?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 6 months ago #311603 by krileon

1) When using an exported CSV file as the template for imports, is it necessary to have ALL the field that appeared in the export?

Nope, just the mandatory core fields to create a Joomla user, which is name, username, and email address. If no password is supplied it'll generate one. gids is their usergroup ids. If gids isn't supplied it'll give them the default registration usergroup (e.g. typically Registered).

2) If all fields must be used, what do you recommend for values for fields like lastvisitDate or lastResetTime? Do date time fields need to be explicit set to 0000-00-00 00:00:00 or can they be empty to default to that?

Empty values are skipped. If you want to supply values to both those fields they should respect the 0000-00-00 00:00:00 datetime format.

3) If we only need to include required and optional NAMED field (vs all fields) in an Import, do the field need to be in the same order as in the Export file?

Order doesn't matter.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

5 years 6 months ago #311614 by researchware
Replied by researchware on topic User Import and Export Clarification Requested
Thank you!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon