Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Front-end Adding user menu?

• timstohr
  • timstohr
5 years 3 weeks ago #314513 by timstohr
Front-end Adding user menu? was created by timstohr
Hi Kyle, because of the GPL, I cannot give access to the backend to the admin users to add new users (otherwise the copyleft will mean that I have to publish all my code from my website).

Have you got a frontend user adding menu?

Kind regards,

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 3 weeks ago #314521 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Front-end Adding user menu?
There's no way to add and manage users from frontend. You'd have to logout and just go through normal registration to add them from frontend.

because of the GPL, I cannot give access to the backend to the admin users to add new users (otherwise the copyleft will mean that I have to publish all my code from my website).

I've no idea what you mean by this. Giving people administrative access has nothing to do with GPL licensing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
5 years 3 weeks ago #314527 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic Front-end Adding user menu?
Hi Kyle,
Here is the reasoning behind it. So I am guessing you know about the virality and copyleft of open source code no? Javascript is considered as distributing the code, so any and every user can request that they get the full source code from you. HOWEVER, front-end and back-end only communicate via APIs or other means, therefore the copyleft only concerns the frontend (so my proprietary code that I do not want to give out is safe as it is backend).
If I give users access to the Joomla backend, then the virality and copyleft for the final user also affects my backend (where my sensitive code is located, which I would then have to publlish)
. Or did I understand something wrong?

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #314529 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Front-end Adding user menu?

. Or did I understand something wrong?

Yup, that only applies to redistribution or modifications under AGPLv3. Even then licensing has nothing to do with the contents of your site, which are yours and yours alone.

As for JS yes that's distribution, but the attribution (complying with their MIT licenses) is done at the top of all 3rd party open source libraries we're using so you're covered and don't need to worry about that. Even then distributing JS has nothing to do with the rest of your site and only applies to that specific JS.

The issue you're describing is AGPLv3 license basically covering the clause of running a modified program on your server then requires you to redistribute the source code of that modified program (again this has nothing to do with the actual contents of your site). Since Joomla nor CB are AGPLv3 this would never apply to you. Any extension using AGPLv3 should be uninstalled as well as it's not a fitting license for a Joomla environment where most PHP will be GPLv2 and most JS will be MIT. Modifications under GPLv2 do not require redistribution.

In short you've nothing to worry about providing administrative access in regards to licensing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by krileon.

• timstohr
  • timstohr
5 years 3 weeks ago #314532 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic Front-end Adding user menu?
OK thanks for the explanation! I have nothing AGPL in my site.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon