Skip to Content Skip to Menu

custom fields for each CB Gallery album?

• e_del
  • e_del
4 years 6 months ago #317749 by e_del
Hi, just subscribed to professional profile, to install CB Gallery, that I'm trying to convert to a personal inventory system.
I'm using the gallery albums as a container to store specific item images, but I'd need to store also some more text fields, associated to the item (thus to the album)... would it be possible in some way?

I'm reading the documentation and found the CB Field management, but it seems to be associated to the user, an not other objects...

As a compromise I could think about getting rid of albums and using only one single photo of the item (not ideal, but if there are no alternatives...). Would it be easier to associate custom text fields?

Overall, last question: would be there a better way (other than using CB Gallery) to implement such inventory management?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 6 months ago #317768 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic custom fields for each CB Gallery album?

but I'd need to store also some more text fields, associated to the item (thus to the album)... would it be possible in some way?

There's no support for custom fields. You'd need to just put that information into the album and media descriptions.

I'm reading the documentation and found the CB Field management, but it seems to be associated to the user, an not other objects...

Correct, fields are associated with a profile and not general use.

As a compromise I could think about getting rid of albums and using only one single photo of the item (not ideal, but if there are no alternatives...). Would it be easier to associate custom text fields?

Seams like an album description should be fine to store the information you're wanting. There's no functionality for adding custom text fields. For such feature you're have to implement it yourself as it is possible due to the available triggers.

Overall, last question: would be there a better way (other than using CB Gallery) to implement such inventory management?

Can you provide a write up of how your inventory management is supposed to work? CB Gallery is for storing media (e.g. photos, files, videos, etc..) and not entirely sure how that relates to inventory management exactly. This seamed to fit well based off your pre-sales post, but now am unsure based off you wanting custom fields for it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• e_del
  • e_del
4 years 6 months ago #317774 by e_del
Replied by e_del on topic custom fields for each CB Gallery album?

krileon wrote:

Can you provide a write up of how your inventory management is supposed to work? CB Gallery is for storing media (e.g. photos, files, videos, etc..) and not entirely sure how that relates to inventory management exactly. This seamed to fit well based off your pre-sales post, but now am unsure based off you wanting custom fields for it.

I try to give you an idea of what I have in mind.

Premise: when a musician gets an intrument stolen he often has not all the data to precisely make an alert or a report to authorities.

My idea is a personal inventory service where each musician (a user, that could also use it for something differen from musical instruments) stores the more disparate info about their instruments, that can be presented as a proof of ownership.
Those info are typically videos, or photos (thus the Gallery idea) of the instrument, or the invoice, a screenshot of the online payment, a PDF document, and audio recording of an agreemet, etc..
If there were also textual fields associated to that instrument, they could store some more additional info (Serial number, Seller references, whatever...) that can be used to produce a standard report with all the info needed, ready to be published on a social network, or sent by email , or attached to the report to authorities...

CB seems a good tool to implement a community of users interacting each other, and CB Gallery seemed a good choice because it can store multi format files... an album would act as a container.
An alternative could be storing all the textual infos in a standard format TXT file, to be processed automatically on demand, but I wanted to avoid the manual compilation by the usr, that could be prone to errors..

... but as I said, maybe there are better tools... that I'm not aware of.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 6 months ago #317776 by krileon
Ah, I think I've a good idea for this. First create a single batch of fields that cover all the information you need to prove ownership for example. This could be an image field, a file field, 3 text fields, and a date field. Now that those are done ensure CB Field Groups is installed. Next create a Field Group field and select those fields to be included in it. Now when editing their profile they should see this group of fields and it should allow them at add more groups of fields using the add new row button.

Aside from my above suggestion your best approach would be an Album + Album Description to store the information.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• e_del
  • e_del
4 years 6 months ago #317779 by e_del
Replied by e_del on topic custom fields for each CB Gallery album?

krileon wrote: Ah, I think I've a good idea for this. First create a single batch of fields that cover all the information you need to prove ownership for example. This could be an image field, a file field, 3 text fields, and a date field. Now that those are done ensure CB Field Groups is installed. Next create a Field Group field and select those fields to be included in it. Now when editing their profile they should see this group of fields and it should allow them at add more groups of fields using the add new row button.

Aside from my above suggestion your best approach would be an Album + Album Description to store the information.

Thanks, I'll think about it...
But... wouldn't all the fields groups be linked to the user account instead ot the object/album he owns?
What if someone owns e.g. two or more instruments?

I was also thinking about some database plugin (I suppose it exists... there is almost everything for joomla B) ) that could be "injected" in the CB Gallery page?

... and thanks for the support!

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 6 months ago #317792 by krileon

But... wouldn't all the fields groups be linked to the user account instead ot the object/album he owns?

Yes.

What if someone owns e.g. two or more instruments?

The field group plugin lets you add multiple groups of fields. So they'd press the add row button to add another row of fields. You can find details about how it works on the product page below.

www.joomlapolis.com/addons/cb-field-groups

You can also give it a try on our demo site below. Note you need to use a "Login As" to check it out in profile edit.

demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/cb-field-groups

I was also thinking about some database plugin (I suppose it exists... there is almost everything for joomla B) ) that could be "injected" in the CB Gallery page?

I've no idea, but I suppose you could since CB Gallery has several triggers you could act on using CB Auto Actions to extend its functionality, but I think CB Field Groups should do well to meet your needs.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon